Senior Scientist I, Bioprocess
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2023
Our mission is to enable pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies to bring more cell and gene therapies to patients, by dramatically increasing the efficiency of viral vector production and reducing the cost of manufacturing. 64x Bio was founded by world renowned scientists and experts in gene therapy from Harvard and the Wyss Institute. Our rapidly growing and cross disciplinary team consists of creative bioengineers and synthetic biologists working alongside data scientists to create cutting-edge solutions to problems in gene therapy.
- The successful candidate will play an active role in supporting upstream/downstream cell culture activities for AAV production at a variety of scales
- Serve as an upstream subject matter expert for experimental, tech transfer, and manufacturing support activities
- Establish & continuously improve the production process for AAV vector at mid-scale via transfection in the suspension platform
- Design/implement chromatography methods for viral vector purification
- Stays ahead of the viral vector purification/production field by exploring new technologies, including high-throughput platforms and concepts
- Assist with technology transfer efforts with our chosen CDMOs
- Writing and reviewing R&D protocols, SOPs, reports, and other product development and R&D documents
- Train and mentor junior members of the team and collaborates across functional areas
- Ph.D. in biology, biochemistry, chemical engineering, or related scientific discipline with 3+ years of cell culture development experience in the biotech/biopharma industry; or BS/MS with 7+ years of experience
- Extensive mammalian tissue culture expertise
- Strong knowledge of the scale-up/scale-down principles of cell culture processes including a thorough understanding of micro, bench-scale, and pilot-scale bioreactor operations
- Working knowledge of cell lysis procedures and viral vector recovery strategy throughout downstream processes
- Experience with chromatography resin screening and selection
- Proven track record of representing bioprocess functions in cross-functional teams and working effectively with CMOs in leading scale-up and tech transfer activities
- Ability to work in a matrixed team environment and collaborate with both internal and external partners including vendor
- Job type – Full time.
- Location – Located in San Francisco, CA.
- All offers of employment at 64x Bio are contingent upon clear results of a background check.