Engineering Lead, Samples Team
Adept's mission is to build Useful General Intelligence. We are solving open problems in AI in order to train models that can do arbitrary things on a computer, and we are solving open product problems in order to package these models into a form factor that best enhances human experience and performance.
We’ve recently raised a $350M Series B led by General Catalyst and Spark, on top of a $65M Series A in 2022 with Addition and Greylock. We’re fortunate to be supported by amazing firms and angels such as Chris Re, Andrej Karpathy, Root Ventures, Howie Liu, Dara Khosrowshahi, and others, and were recently highlighted by Forbes. Adept is backed by a coalition of strategic partners, including Atlassian, Microsoft, NVIDIA, and Workday.
We're looking for passionate team members who want to swing for the fences to accomplish our mission, are excited by a startup environment where the hardest problems are yet to be solved, and are eager to learn and collaborate together in our San Francisco office.
For more information, check out our blog!
We’re seeking someone to build out a new team - in this role you’ll be responsible for growing and leading a hybrid research-engineering group that jointly optimizes for availability, latency, and throughput of our model inference service. You would be the first official hire into this team — you would help to grow it by hiring and training new members.
The ideal candidate is someone who has built and scaled production services, has strong intuitions for performance engineering, and has successfully led large engineering projects in the past - ideally with a research flavor. This service is completely critical to our product - reductions in latency can result in nonlinear increases in user satisfaction, so the role has tremendous leverage overall.
- Build and manage a hybrid team of researchers and engineers
- Build, operate, and maintain the core inference service, optimizing for uptime, latency, and throughput
- Collaborate with other research teams propose and implement research ideas that translate into latency improvements
- Build software to safely and seamlessly translate trained model checkpoints into efficiently serve-able artifacts
- Strong leadership and people management skills, with a track record of leading successful research or engineering projects to completion
- Intuition for performance engineering - latency really matters for our use-case
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively with both other research stakeholders and the core infrastructure team
- Experience building and scaling production services, ideally in a high-growth environment
- Experience with hardware accelerators in data centers
The pay range for this position in California is $175,000 - $350,000yr; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, candidate location, and experience. In addition to base salary, we also offer competitive equity and benefits packages.
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage - 100% for employees
- Dental and vision insurance
- Unlimited vacation time for exempt employees
- 4 remote weeks per year - work from anywhere
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Daily meals for those in our comfortable SF office
- Commuter benefits
- Dog friendly
Something looks off?