Backend Engineering Manager
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2023
Must be located in the U.S.
Be a pioneer in modern communication using technologies and Architect one of the highest impact projects in the space 🚀
Ava is real-time live captioning software to empower users and teams to connect. As needs for stronger solutions arose in the market (work, school) the platform added the differentiated solution of AI and human curation through live professional transcribers.
We're looking for an experienced Backend Developer to the team to help take the product to the next level for a larger audience and help improve the scalability, reliability and performance of our real-time application.
If you've successfully built and scaled systems in a team setting. Is able to articulate well and work together in a highly agile environment. Is looking for a challenging experience to make a big social. And thrives in an early startup environment and all it's associated challenged. This would be great position for you!
You'd be perfect for this role if:
- 8+ years of software engineering experience
- 3+ years of experience managing software engineering teams particularly teams working on backend and machine learning systems
- 5+ years working in distributed systems
- NodeJS, TypeScript, cloud native solutions (AWS, GCP, etc)
- Backend heavy, data-intensive applications
- Proficient experience with non-relation databases (MongoDB, Firestore)
- an effectively use / has implemented observability solutions (Elasticsearch, Datadog, Elastic)
- Welcomes a dynamic team structure (startups...)
- Experience working with unit testing frameworks (Jest, Mocha)
- Experience bringing smaller products to scale or working at high scale needs
- Willingness to learn new technologies
- Problem-solving, business oriented when thinking of solutions
- You're a great and articulate teammate.
- Bonus: You're familiar with WebRTC, Audio processing, Streams
- Bonus: You've designed complex real-time systems such as live chats, call-cents, etc (peer-to-peer communications)
- Bonus: BS in Computer Science
- Bonus: Working experience with setting up integration testing suites
- Bonus: Working experience with infrastructure as code (Terraform, Pulumi, etc.)
What will you do as a Backend Engineering Manager at Ava?
- Mix of 70% technical (coding, design reviews, architecture) and 30% people management
- Scale Ava as a key communication service millions of deaf/hard-of-hearing users & their peers can rely on.
- Hire and mentor backend engineers and groom them to ship features with high velocity while keeping low tech debt
- Work with product managers and other engineering leads as needed to plan the team's roadmap
- Strike a balance between staying hands-on yourself while delegating responsibilities to individual contributors in the team
- Improve the stability of backend applications and invest in capabilities like observability, performance testing, CI/CD automation
- You are not just a good people manager but can act as a software architect / coach to reinforce good development standards
- Increase maintainability of our source code with improved design patterns, refactors.
- Improving the reliability of our real-time audio & text sync service .
- Make our real-time communication needs (Websockets, audio streaming) more fault tolerant and lower latency.
- Conceive algorithms to accommodate real-time multi-editing and audio processing.
- Write our new API to accelerate & build integrations with multiple complementary productivity & communication services.
Why this role?
- Actually change lives at an unprecedented scale: How often do you hear about apps that make people cry with joy? It is really for us a unique opportunity and privilege to be able to meaningfully improve the lives of 100,000s people - and yet to still be at the very beginning of our mission!
- Join us at an incredible time: We're well-funded and hit product-market fit, which gives us a huge green field to work with. You'd join at the perfect time to shape what we build and how we grow, so we can create a more inclusive world.
- Work with some of the best people in the world: We have an incredibly talented and passionate team that is a lot of fun to work with. We're still super small and have accomplished some things that were thought impossible!
- Tackle our most interesting and impactful problems: Our team is still small, and people wear many hats. You'd jump between product, marketing, internal tools, process — participating in every phase from inception to implementation. Absolutely no boredom.
Thanks for making it here. You probably are really good at what you do and have many choices in front of you. If you are looking to grow your unique talents and leverage them for something truly meaningful, while being in a great company, you've come to the right place.
We hope you'll apply!
Salary range: 160-190K base*
*base compensation will be solidified after the interview process based on experience