Technical Program Manager, Data Systems
Who We Are
Baton is seeking ambitious individuals who desire the autonomy and agility of a startup environment combined with the backing, power, reach, and stability of a highly respected logistics industry giant.
Baton is the Silicon Valley-based technology innovation lab for Ryder, a leading logistics company that owns 260k trucks and manages $7.4B of freight.
Prior to the September 2022 acquisition, Baton was a venture-backed start-up that operated a fleet of trucks and hung out at truck stops to truly understand the challenges at hand.
The Problem We’re Solving
Our mission is to eliminate supply chain waste by creating a digital platform that uses AI to improve how freight is planned.
There are 500 million hours wasted in trucking each year, over 3 billion gallons of fuel wasted per year from trucks idling, and 1 in 5 trucks on the road driving empty at any given point. This has a massive impact on the environment, the lives of millions of drivers, and ultimately, the cost of goods that we all pay. Baton is fixing that, and you will too through the impactful work you’ll do here.
- Role: Technical Program Manager, Data Systems
- Location: Hayes Valley, San Francisco, CA
- Job type: Full-Time (Hybrid)
We are seeking a cross-functional Data Engineer who can build our data platform knowledge into owning dissemination of information across Ryder and Baton - by actively communicating and creating an intelligence repository. This person will supercharge our engineering efforts by empowering engineers with clear data knowledge and documentation. This role will be on the front lines of the data process and data integration kickoff projects, entirely taking full ownership of that domain. Therefore having Project Management experience along with a prior or current SWE Background would be ideal to have to ensure success within this role.
- Build the data platform knowledge to own dissemination of information across Baton and Ryder, through actively communicating and creating an intelligence repository
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify and resolve data-related issues and provide data-related technical guidance and support
- Design and develop data processing pipelines using Flink and Kafka for real-time data ingestion, processing, and analysis
- Increase our team's coding capacity by enabling other engineers on the platform pod to focus on writing code
- Ownership on the front lines of owning the data process and kicking off new data integration
Who You Are
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a Software Engineering related field
- Strong programming skills in Python & SQL
- Project Management experience or experience with cross-functional collaboration across an org
- 3+ years of experience in Data Engineering or a related field
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with cloud computing platforms such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud Platform
- Proficiency in database management, data warehousing, and ETL processes
- Experience with big data technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, and Kafka
- Prior experience in the Freight Industry or Logistics space
- Competitive salary and bonus structure
- Annual bonus and Long Term Incentive Plan Participation
- Hybrid work schedule
- 401k with matching
- Medical, Dental, and Vision health coverage
- Employee Stock Purchase Program (15% discount to market value)
- Hyper-stable, publicly traded enterprise
- Collaborative, fun, and tech-forward office in Hayes Valley (San Francisco)
The annual base salary range for this position is $157,000 - $217,000. Compensation will vary based on factors including skill level, proficiencies, transferable knowledge, and experience. In addition to base salary, Baton full-time employees are eligible for an annual performance bonus.
Why You Should Join
- Have an immediate impact
- With Ryder’s existing customer base of 50,000+ companies and an internal headcount of 43,000, the scale and impact of our products will be large and far-reaching, from day one.
- Opportunity to grow and lead in a Fortune 500 company
- You’ll get to work in a rapidly growing, startup-like environment while having the stability and backing of Ryder and its full executive team.
- Creative, fast-paced environment to solve impactful problems in supply chain
- We’re going to design completely new tools for an industry that hasn’t been rethought in decades. And to do this, we need people who think differently.