About the role
Binti has launched our three products successfully in US states, counties, and private child welfare agencies. We plan to continue expanding our current products to support more agencies and children, and develop new modules to expand our reach throughout child welfare. Our product is built on Ruby on Rails and React, backed by a Postgres database, hosted on Google Cloud, and orchestrated with Kubernetes.
The Staff Engineer role, reporting direction to Binti's VP Engineering (CTO) will continue building our latest product launched - case management, which is focused on supporting child welfare agency workers and families providing foster care. Over the next few years, we are building high impact features that enable and improve foster care including creating a robust workflow to pay families for care provided and a portal for care providers & youth to interact with their agency. In this role, you would be responsible for untangling challenges, developing solutions supporting children and providers in the foster care system, and getting engineers aligned and motivated towards building the code needed. This is an individual contributor role, with a strong sense of leadership and ownership desired and the ability to “scale yourself” by helping every member of the team surface and work within best practices. Be able to motivate and inspire the team by creating an environment that promotes positive communication, and generates alignment with the goal of reducing unnecessary complexity.
Example projects for this role:
- Lead development of new product areas such as creating a portal for foster families and children to collaborate directly with social workers
- Enhance our current functionality of paying families for the care they provide, including but not limited to workflows to pay families additional stipends based on need and/or direct payments from the system
- Evolve configurable features like scheduling or child requirements into a reusable, performant layer that works for different workflows across the country
This role is open to fully remote candidates who are authorized to work within the US and are open to working core engineering hours for real-time collaboration with the team. If candidates are in the San Francisco Bay Area, we have an office in Oakland and you would have the option to work from the office when it is safe to do so.
What you will do:
- Lead architecture discussions during feature development to ensure that projects are built in a sound, reliable, performant way
- Collaborate with Product Management to scope and execute product features while maintaining Binti’s values.
- Help our team move quickly and learn while maintaining a welcoming and supportive culture
- Push our product so it continues to be a beautiful, yet intuitive and accessible interface for users from all walks of life
- Identify patterns and approaches within our code that’ll allow it to be simplified and improved
- Share out patterns and best practices through internal talks and office hours, code review, documentation, leading discussions, writing linters, etc.
- Maintain HIPAA compliance for sensitive data that is shared with us
- Learn and promote accessibility best practices
- At least 5 years of professional software engineering experience
- Ruby, React, and/or GraphQL experience a plus
- Payments solution experience also a plus
- Passion for delivering products end-to-end, from ideation through planning and scoping to implementation
- Experience owning projects from inception to completion, leaving the codebase better than they found it, and maintaining after launch.
- Desire to be “hands in the code” in the full stack
- Ability to collaborate with cross-functional partners in product, technical account management, policy, and more
- Growth mindset, sense of urgency, comfort with MVP approach and also challenging the status quo
- Experience coaching and mentoring colleagues
- Eager to learn from the team and to research and validate best practices novel to the company
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Excited to join a mission-driven, for profit SaaS company that is transforming child welfare through technology
The base salary for this role ranges from $210,000-$270,000. Actual compensation within this range will vary based on experience, education, knowledge, and skills, and will be determined through the interview process according to our standard procedures and leveling. Binti strives to be in the 90th percentile of market range for a Series B company. We are also proud to offer a comprehensive perks and benefits package, as outlined below.
Perks and Benefits
- An above-market compensation package (salary + equity)
- Excellent medical, dental, vision, and life insurance - 99% of insurance premiums covered for you + your dependents
- Flexible vacation time to promote a healthy work-life blend
- 16 weeks of paid parental bonding leave for the arrival of a newborn or newly placed infant
- 13 paid holidays; 11 Federally observed holidays (including Juneteenth), plus the day after Thanksgiving and Election Day
- Sick/Mental Health time separate from vacation days (72 hours)
- 4 weeks of sabbatical after 4 years of service at the company
- 401(k) with 100% match of contributions up to 4% of your annual salary
- Commuter benefits, FSA, and DCSA with administration paid for
- $5,000 annual bonus for employees who volunteer as a CASA (court-appointed special advocates)
- $2,500 annual reimbursement for ongoing learning and development, with opportunities to attend trainings/conferences, on-site speaker series, and lunch and learns
- $300 reimbursement for virtual home office setup
- $50 a month remote work stipend to cover internet, electricity, home office setup costs or lunch/snacks with coworkers
- Paid Jury Duty
Something looks off?