Staff Software Engineer, Frontend
Collective is on a mission to redefine the way businesses-of-one work. Collective’s technology and team of trusted advisors enables our members to achieve financial independence by taking care of everything from business incorporation to accounting, bookkeeping, tax services and access to a thriving community, all in one integrated platform. We believe in empowering self-employed people to enjoy the same tax savings that big companies get.
Featured in Forbes, Business Insider, Yahoo, Bloomberg, Financial Times, Techcrunch and more. We’re backed by General Catalyst, Sound Ventures (Ashton Kutcher and Guy Oseary), QED Investors, Google’s Gradient Ventures, Expa and prominent investors who have financed and built iconic companies like YouTube, Substack, Twitch, Box, Hims, Instacart, Lyft, and more.
About the role
We are building the customer experience that scales Collective’s primary offerings - Onboarding, Bookkeeping, Payroll and Taxes. The role offers an exciting opportunity to be the architect of the frontend of these core products. You will be part of a high-impact set of teams that builds the application used for our customers and for internal operations.
- Craft the v1 architecture for Collective FE component system that delivers more complex interactions while maintaining a consistent experience with regards to style, maintainability and reusability
- Work cross-functionally with product, design, and other engineering counterparts to novel products and features that our users will love
- Ensure timely delivery of complex, multi-disciplinary, and highly visible projects by participating in the full development cycle: technical design, development, test, experimentation, analysis, and launch
- Contribute to standards that improve developer workflows, recommend best practices, and mentor junior engineers to grow their technical expertise. Participate in writing design docs and reviewing code
- Work closely with product and design giving feedback on specs and mocks
What we want you to bring
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- Previously been in a technical leadership role driving work for large groups of engineers
- A track record of mentoring senior engineers
- A passion for working with users, building great user experience spanning web and mobile
- Comfortable working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process
- An appreciation for the importance of good documentation - internal and external
- Attention to detail, especially around performance, accessibility, reliability and security
- Has shipped React components to be embedded by other external applications
- Experience working with a remote team
- Experience working with a global or otherwise multicultural team
- Entrepreneurial spirit - you are self-directed, innovative, and biased towards action in fast-paced environments
- You love to build new things and thrive in ambiguity and even failure
What we offer in return
Compensation Range: $198,000-$230,000 USD annual base salary
- A remote first environment.
- A diverse and collaborative team culture.
- Stock options package.
- 14 company holidays + unlimited PTO.
- Employer paid Health, Vision and Dental Insurance.
- 100% coverage for employees
- 75% coverage for dependents
- up to $5,000 for out of state travel expenses, if needed
- PC or Mac laptop + $750 Home office stipend.
- Paid parental leave.
- Team events and virtual gatherings.
- $600 wellness bonus.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At Collective, we don’t just accept differences — we celebrate them, we support them, and we thrive on them for the benefit of our employees, our customers, and our community. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. If you’re good at what you do, come as you are. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. Collective is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.