Senior Software Engineer
Collective is on a mission to redefine the way businesses-of-one work. Collective’s technology and team of trusted advisors enables our members to achieve financial independence by taking care of everything from business incorporation to accounting, bookkeeping, tax services and access to a thriving community, all in one integrated platform. We believe in empowering self-employed people to enjoy the same tax savings that big companies get.
Featured in Forbes, Business Insider, Yahoo, Bloomberg, Financial Times, Techcrunch and more. We’re backed by General Catalyst, Sound Ventures (Ashton Kutcher and Guy Oseary), QED Investors, Google’s Gradient Ventures, Expa and prominent investors who have financed and built iconic companies like YouTube, Substack, Twitch, Box, Hims, Instacart, Lyft, and more.
About the role:
Nearly 20,000 amazing founders have applied for membership since we first launched and our revenue has grown 8x. Most importantly, we have saved our average member over $16,000 annually in taxes.
We’re looking for an enthusiastic and talented Software Engineer to join our passionate and dedicated team.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will:
- Be part of a small team, build the core, user-facing product. You will build the product from ground up and have a huge direct impact on our users.
- Self-direct your work and co-own the product. You'll have autonomy and responsibility to shape the roadmap and own the execution of it.
- Lead cross-functional collaboration with product and design teams to iterate on our products.
- Solve interesting product and technical problems. Bring your full creativity to solve. challenging problems: from internal system design to 3rd party integrations, etc.
- Lead engineering discussions and mentor others on engineering best practices.
You'll be a great addition to the team if you have:
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in Computer Science or another technical field.
- 5+ years of experience working in a Software Engineering role.
- Strong foundation in programming, algorithms, and software application design
- Demonstrated ability to execute with excellence. You have thrived in fast-paced environments, tackling complex technical challenges with exceptional skill and precision.
- Effective problem-solving with a thorough understanding of the context. You can break down complex issues and collaborate with others to reach a well-rounded solution. You're also willing to seek assistance when faced with challenges.
- Have a thorough understanding and experience with backend API and database design. Experience in backend languages such as Python, we use Python Django at Collective.
- Passionate about solving challenging problems and iterating quickly.
- Business-oriented. You care about business impact and prioritize projects accordingly.
- A team player, effective communicator with a strong work sense of ownership.
- Previous experience with financial products is a plus.
Why work with us:
- Collective is the first online back office platform designed for Businesses-of-One.
- Tax is a very challenging space and you will grow fast.
- We were backed by top tier VCs.
- We promote open and transparent culture within the company.
- We’re fast-paced and you learn every day.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At Collective, we don’t just accept differences — we celebrate them, we support them, and we thrive on them for the benefit of our employees, our customers, and our community. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. If you’re good at what you do, come as you are. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. Collective is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.