Senior Security Engineer
Ethos was built to make it faster and easier to get life insurance for the next million families. Our approach blends industry expertise, technology, and the human touch to find you the right policy to protect your loved ones.
We leverage deep technology and data science to streamline the life insurance process, making it more accessible and convenient. Using predictive analytics, we are able to transform a traditionally multi-week process into a modern digital experience for our users that can take just minutes! We’ve issued billions in coverage each month and eliminated the traditional barriers, ushering the industry into the modern age. Our full-stack technology platform is the backbone of family financial health.
We make getting life insurance easier, faster and better for everyone.
Our investors include General Catalyst, Sequoia Capital, Accel Partners, Google Ventures, SoftBank, and the investment vehicles of Jay-Z, Kevin Durant, Robert Downey Jr and others. This year, we were named on CB Insights' Global Insurtech 50 list and BuiltIn's Top 100 Midsize Companies in San Francisco. We are scaling quickly and looking for passionate people to protect the next million families!
About the role
The trust and safety pod is responsible for safeguarding Ethos information assets, managing technology compliance, and ensuring the trust, privacy, and safety of Ethos customers and employees. This is a great opportunity to shape the security vision for the organization and drive security innovation throughout the engineering team. You will work with interesting and challenging technologies and processes, define and implement security safeguards, and act as a security SME for the engineering team. While you will wear many hats, from advisor to builder, and everything in-between, you will focus on designing and building enterprise-wide security services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Partner with the engineering team to build, orchestrate, and/or automate security controls and services in the Ethos infrastructure/platform, with a focus on building, rather than advising
- Lead the design and development of key security features for the Ethos platform, e.g., API authentication & authorization, customer authentication, data safeguards, etc.
- Develop components of the security analytics platform
- Participate in investigations, threat hunting, and incident response activities; build playbooks for specific incident response scenarios
- Manage security solutions implemented in the enterprise
Qualifications and Skills:
- Strong communicator that can lead technical architecture discussions and help drive technical decisions
- Intimate familiarity with AWS and commonly used AWS services – KMS, Container Registry, ELBs, Lambda, API Gateway, CloudTrail, IAM, etc. Knowledge of GCP and/or Azure is a plus
- Ability to establish credibility and build trust with developers and operational staff; you are confident, without being arrogant
- Hands-on experience with microservices and associated orchestration -e.g. K8s, Nomad, Istio, etc., and understanding the operational concerns and opportunities associated with these technologies
- A non-dogmatic mindset
- Excellent understanding of both human and non-human identity management and common enterprise and consumer authentication standards/use cases
- Hands-on experience with CI/CD and DevOps tools -e.g., Terraform, Jenkins, GitHub, Chef, Ansible, etc.
- Passionate about learning new things – while you’re not expected to know everything you will face, it is expected that you will learn new things when appropriate
- Prior experience developing code for security services for enterprise platforms, ideally in Node, Typescript, or Python. Develop and support codebase for (such security services) use by other teams
- Ability to write automation scripts, ideally in more than one language. Prior experience automating security processes in cloud environments
- Excellent understanding cryptography and key management common use cases
- Experience overseeing vulnerability/threat management activities at the infrastructure, platform, and application level. Prior oversight of a bug bounty platform or a managed penetration testing service is a significant plus
- Experience with penetration tests/red team exercises, ideally the type that involve manual verification, exploitation, lateral movement, etc.
- Ability to see the big picture, yet recognize the importance of details and make sure t’s are crossed and i dotted
- Expertise with event management/SEM solutions, data modeling associated with building event detection and alerting capabilities. You love metrics, and have investigated at least several incidents & feel comfortable with typical threat hunting/incident response tools and processes
The US national base salary range for this full-time position is $132,000 - $215,000. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include applicable bonus, equity, or benefits.
You can find further details of our US benefits at https://www.ethoslife.com/careers/
Don’t meet every single requirement? If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. At Ethos we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace.
We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.
To learn more about what information we collect and how it may be used, please refer to our California Candidate Privacy Notice.