Garner's mission is to transform the healthcare economy, delivering high quality and affordable care for all. By helping employers restructure their healthcare benefit to provide clear incentives and data-driven insights, we direct employees to higher quality and lower cost healthcare providers. The result is that patients get better health outcomes while doctors are rewarded for practicing well, not performing more procedures. We are backed by top-tier venture capital firms, are growing rapidly and looking to expand our team.
We’re looking for a Senior Counsel to provide broad support for Garner's legal team. First and foremost, we’re looking for a smart, detail-oriented generalist, but experience with commercial contracting is necessary, and experience with regulatory compliance (particularly related to privacy and/or healthcare) is preferable. This role reports to the Head of Legal.
Responsibilities will include:
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating a wide range of agreements, including MSAs, business associate agreements, vendor agreements, partnership agreements, NDAs, and employment-related agreements.
- Working closely and collaboratively with other business functions and providing guidance and practical advice related to product development and features, internal operations and policies, and day-to-day issues and challenges impacting the company and our clients.
- Supporting regulatory compliance by developing an understanding of applicable requirements and communicating those requirements and the related risks to business stakeholders in a practical, digestible way.
- Liaising with external counsel, auditors and other service providers.
- Managing existing legal processes and operations and helping to develop new processes as the company continues to scale.
- Assisting with corporate maintenance, including board matters and financings.
Ideal candidate has:
- 3+ years of experience. A mix of in-house and law firm experience is preferred.
- A J.D. from a U.S. law school and admitted to a state bar.
- No fear of technical, finance, or data science concepts.
- A willingness to “roll up your sleeves” and do whatever is necessary to ensure company success.
- Experience working in a rapidly-evolving startup environment.
- Experience reviewing, drafting and negotiating commercial agreements is required.
- Regulatory/compliance experience is preferred but not required. Experience dealing with privacy regulation, or regulation applicable to healthcare (e.g. CRPA; HIPAA) is even better.
- A desire to support our mission to improve the U.S. healthcare system.
What we look for at Garner:
- Mission First: Our mission is to transform our healthcare system, delivering high quality and affordable care to all. Everything else is secondary.
- Expect Extraordinary: Our mission is audacious, so we will only succeed by producing exceptional results. We continually push ourselves and each other to new heights and beyond our comfort zones.
- Courageous Communication: Transparency and candor are imperative to realizing our potential as an organization and as individuals—even when uncomfortable. Many companies talk about these values. We live them.
- Supportive community: We know that people do their best work and learn the most when they feel genuinely supported and cared for. It’s also more fun that way.
The target salary range for this position is: $155,000 - $170,000. Individual compensation for this role will depend on a variety of factors including qualifications, skills and applicable laws. In addition to base compensation, this role is eligible to participate in our equity incentive and competitive benefits plans.