Software Engineer, Platform
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2022
Metronome is building a new real-time source of truth for business data, starting with powering the software industry's transition to usage-based business models.
Our platform computes millions of invoices per billing period and is scaling rapidly to accommodate new customers, saving them hours of development time and manual invoicing and enabling them to use consumption data to better serve their customers. Our customers love our product and approach, and we’re humbled to work with amazing companies like OpenAI, Cockroach Labs and mParticle.
You'll be joining an experienced team that includes founders who have successfully built and sold startups before. Our founders and employees also have direct experience building and scaling teams through massive growth at companies like Dropbox, Clever, and New Relic. On the back of this experience and our success-to-date, we’ve raised over $35m from leading investors including Andreessen Horowitz, General Catalyst, and Elad Gil. We’re also proud to have founders and executives of companies like Segment, Plaid, Looker, Gitlab, Confluent, HashiCorp, Snowflake, and Databricks as investors who have experienced the pain we're solving firsthand.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced engineer who is excited about building out our Kafka-based data streaming platform. Your job will be to build out a scalable infrastructure as well as a set of platform features to make developing new products faster and safer.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience
- Help design and build out the backend infrastructure for the Metronome product
- Write backend code for anything from stream processing jobs, custom GraphQL resolvers, integrations with downstream systems, and platform code for making the aforementioned as easy and safe as possible
- Safeguard the reliability and resiliency of our backend systems by following security and infrastructure best practices
- Work closely with the frontend engineers to deliver an incredible user experience on our APIs and frontend product
- Work closely with co-founders and customers to inform what's possible, what's difficult, and what's easy
- Much more! As a small startup, we need folks to pitch in wherever they can.
Examples of Tasks You Might Work On
- Producing a lambda or a new containerized service reading from a Kafka stream to calculate real-time customer spend
- Writing Terraform code to manage permissions on a third party service like Auth0
- Spin up a new datastore for storing customer invoices
- Connect an internal service to an external API
- Create a new service and associate it with a new CI/CD job to make sure it deploys automatically and gracefully
Impact You'll Have
- The platform you build allows your co-workers move more quickly
- The infrastructure you build helps your co-workers do the right thing by default
- Customer data is safer because you have built secure, resilient, and high-uptime services
- The Metronome team is more well-rounded because you bring your unique personality to work and help create an inclusive fun environment focused on helping our customers get the most value out of Metronome.
We don't filter based on current expertise, so at Metronome you will learn
- AWS (S3, RDS, API Gateway, ECS, Fargate, Lambda, MKS, and more!)
- Infrastructure as Code (Terraform, Serverless Framework)
- Languages (Python, Typescript, Java - for working with Kafka)
- CI/CD (AWS CodePipeline & CodeDeploy, CircleCI)
Compensation & Benefits
- Excellent medical, dental, vision, and life insurance coverage, including a One Medical membership
- FSA (Flexible spending account)
- Flexible time off
- Employee assistance program (mental health benefits)
- Culture where personal growth is highly valued
Metronome offers salaries that are highly competitive with other early stage Bay Area startups and significant equity compensation (we want you to feel like an owner). More importantly, we’re committed to equitable compensation practices across the board. If you’d like to learn more about our philosophy or about why we’re all billing nerds, shoot us a message. We’d love to talk!
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.