National Manager of Vertical Purchasing
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2023
At Mosaic, our mission is to make places people love and to make those places widely available. As a tech-enabled general contractor for the residential development industry, we partner with the nation's most innovative developers to transform how communities are created and delivered. Come build with us!
Mosaic is a strong fit for individuals who are passionate about solving the upstream challenges of homebuilding, and who thrive in cross-disciplinary teams of software developers, designers, and construction managers.
About This Opportunity:
Mosaic’s Operations team is growing and we’re looking for a highly experienced National Manager of Vertical Purchasing to support this growth. In this role, the National Manager of Vertical Purchasing will manage the assigned Mosaic markets and oversee the solicitation, bidding, VE, and contracting of all vertical building components. We specialize in the Build to Rent sector of building.
We Are Looking For Candidates Who Are:
- Meticulous and detail oriented
- Persistent - Constantly seeking ways to identity and resolve root cause issues
- Eager to learn
- Tech savvy
- Strong written and verbal communicators
- Team players
- Team Alignment and Partnering:
- Ensure a sufficient trade base to support growth, meet business plan expectations and drive cost-effectiveness.
- Facilitate purchasing team staffing to meet current and future demands.
- Assist with building a talent pool for future growth.
- Promote internal communication between land development, vertical purchasing, construction, and customer service.
- Work with each market Regional Director of Operations to:
- 1. Ensure each market is aligned with National contracts, initiatives, and directives.
- 2. Ensure purchasing team members are properly trained and understand their role.
- 3. Regularly update scopes of work and drive their enforcement in the field.
- 4. Drive consistency in purchasing processes and practices across the nation.
- 5. Communicate best practices at all levels within the organization.
- 6. Initiate regional/national vendor partnerships to leverage region size.
- 7. Ensure all vendors meet company guidelines for insurance and credit worthiness.
- Cost Management:
- Prepare all vertical DD budgets for new communities, to include standard specifications and a copy of the plans.
- Track and issue monthly updates on Lumber and Direct Costs.
- Work with the assigned Mosaic markets to ensure:
- 1. Variable PO costs are minimized.
- 2. All product is value-engineered with all major trades and engineers.
- 3. Spec levels are consistent with customer expectations.
- 4. Direct costs at buy-out to be within DD budgets.
- 5. Direct and option costs are contracted prior to community start of construction.
- 6. Sufficient bids are procured to meet costing expectations (minimum 3 bids per category).
- 7. All markets have take-offs for categories as assigned by the head of operations.
- 8. Labor and material costs are separated for all major trades.
- 9. Key cost drivers are defined and communicated.
- 10. Develop acceptable unit costs within the region and drive markets to meet them.
- 11. Unit cost and take-off data is used to become the low cost producer in all markets.
- 12. All markets maximize “upfront costs” from suppliers/vendors in lieu of rebates.
- Operational Efficiency:
- Promote consistency in specifications, option offerings, product usage and purchasing processes, and awareness of all region-wide community development timelines.
- Provide frontline support for value-engineering, bidding, costing and contracting procedures.
- Ensure all communities are contracted and ready for all required vertical starts, all markets meet all audit requirements for purchasing, and all purchasing functions are aligned with company policies.
- Conduct semi-annual field audits for quality and home performance.
- Complete semi-annual reports for quality and home performance compliance.
- Participate in the development of Mosaic proprietary software.
- Provide feedback for each applicable iteration of the software.
- Promote the software to internal and external customers.
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management or similar area of study.
- 15+ years of related experience with a deep understanding of the construction industry, vertical building standards in multiple markets, VE standards, etc.
- Deep experience in SFD, BTR/horizontal apartment type horizontal and vertical construction, and high-density development required.
- Strong proficiency in estimating, bidding, negotiating, VE, and contracting.
Company Benefits: Mosaic offers a competitive salary, 401(K), medical dental, vision, and life insurance, unlimited PTO, and a generous number of company holidays.
Company Work Environment Philosophy: Mosaic is a flex-first work environment, meaning some of the roles are worked primarily on a remote basis with some visibility to the corporate offices while others are worked physically in the corporate office or other such assigned in-person physical hub with some flexibility for occasional remote. These schedules are pre-designed and physical workspaces pre-determined based specifically on the position and visibility needs.
EEO Statement: The equal employment opportunity policy of this employer provides for a fair and equal employment opportunity for all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, familial status, disability, or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law. This employer hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.
See more open positions at Mosaic
Something looks off?