Construction Project Manager (Orlando)
Orlando, FL, USA
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2023
At Mosaic, our mission is to make places people love and to make those places widely available. As a tech-enabled general contractor for the residential development industry, we partner with the nation's most innovative developers to transform how communities are created and delivered. Come build with us!
Mosaic is a strong fit for individuals who are passionate about solving the upstream challenges of homebuilding, and who thrive in cross-disciplinary teams of software developers, designers, and construction managers.
About This Opportunity:
The Construction Project Manager is responsible for the management and oversight of the predevelopment/VE process through the build out process of new and existing communities within their assigned markets.
The Construction Project Manager is responsible for:
-Single point of contact for all customers. All critical construction communication should go directly through the Director of Construction to our customers, trades, consultants, etc.
-The Construction Project Manager should know all aspects of their assigned communities to include yet not limited to budgets, scheduled, contracts, staffing, current issues, RFI/Change Order status, draw status, etc.
-The development and execution of the business plan for their assigned markets.
-Direct management of the Predevelopment process (in conjuction with the Predev. Dept. at the home office in Phoenix, AZ) to include yet not limited to intro to new customers, budgets, schedules, specifications, VE, bidding, awarding contracts, precon meetings/services.
-Orchestrating timely and highest quality of deliverables required by our customers with all Mosaic Departments (Land Development, Vertical Building, Architecture, QA/QC, Accounting, Technology).
-Proactive management of community personnel costs (goal of under 3% of revenue for all communities) in conjuction with markets RDO's, proactive pipeline management and growth. Revenue and timely starts and completions of communities are essential.
-Land Development and Vertical Building costs, budgets, schedules, construction and quality.
-General Conditions creation and monthly maintenance.
-Familiarity with single family and 2 and 3 story attached production designs, costing, and construction.
-Managing trade capacity and performance.
-Maintaining the great culture and employee engagement.
We Are Looking For Candidates Who Demonstrate:
- Strong leadership capabilities and a values-based commitment to continuous improvement.
- Business acumen.
- A formidable reputation, relationships, and a rolodex across the local trades and communities within assigned markets.
- A keen focus on customer service - takes the time to understand the needs of our customers, trade partners, team members, and individual stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills & an aptitude for diplomacy.
- The ability to identifying root cause issues proactively and address them with a sense of urgency.
- An aptitude towards goalsetting, prioritization, and holding all appropriate parties accountable.
- Exercises great judgement! Knows when to make a decision or to check with a manager first.
- Team and culture building capacity – able to effectively foster performance and maintain engagement across their assigned teams.
- Tech savvy - Comfortable with data analysis and using technology to simplify work processes.
- Business Development:
- Collaborate with RDO's to establish market Business Plans (LD, Vert starts and turnovers).
- Execute the business plans and manage the horizontal and vertical budgets for the assigned markets.
- Coordinate internal resources as required for executing and exceeding the Business Plan for each assigned community.
- Assist the RDO with Mosaic’s Growth Team to identify, nurture, and contract with new customers (as requested).
- Review, and comment on new deals within assigned markets.
- Be the expert when it comes to understanding all requirements of the Master Agreement with our customers. Make certain the entire team is aware and we execute 100% against the Agreement.
- Utilize the IMR "Ticketing System" for creating job requests for all facets of the building business.
- Monitor the output quality, timing, and overall thoroughness of the ticketing system.
- Assist with Due Diligence/VE on all new communities within assigned markets.
- As part of the pre-development process, participate in the planning, sequencing, phasing, and plotting of products for all new communities.
- Assist in horizontal development review/VE and coordination with Civil Engineer.
- Assist with development/VE of vertical product in coordination with consultants, trades, and purchasing team.
- Assure horizontal coordination with vertical build (Budgets, bids, and contracts). No missed Items or Items "double-dipped".
- Assist in bidding/analyzing/awarding of contractors for new deals.
- Keep in constant communication with all assigned market RDO's and customers.
- Focus on accuracy in RFI-Change Order logs/paperwork, review updated monthly vertical and horizontal budgets, provide written updates and photos of weekly community progress.
- Manage all General Conditions budgets to "under budget" for each community. Review all assigned markets monthly updates.
- Assure proper documentation of current "delay days" logs, per community.
- Partner with Mosaic’s Heads of Land Development, Vertical Purchasing, and Plan Management, to Establish:
- Phased site plans.
- VE horizontal and vertical products.
- Amenity phasing, schedules, budgets, specifications, and construction.
- Trade lists for horizontal and vertical.
- Bidding process (bidding, review, awarding of bids, contracts-with all required exhibits).
- Updated and current schedules for horizontal and vertical builds.
- Market specific Scopes of Work (horizontal and vertical).
- Specifications, cut sheets, submittals (as required) for vertical and horizontal.
- Maintain baseline horizontal and vertical costs for assigned markets.
- Manage Resource Allocation to Minimize:
- Ensure quality and control costs.
- Review project scopes and change orders - communicate with all other team leads as needed.
- Ensure scoped work follows company standards and quality standards.
- Monitor and track the progress of communities in a detailed manner utilizing the Builder Portal, Mosaic Pay, Hypervision, etc.
- Manage changes to the project scope, project schedule and project costs within assigned markets.
- Oversee Trade Relationships and Performance within Assigned Markets:
- Ensure workplace safety standards and practices are upheld (eSafety Program).
- Ensure SWPPP permit is in place and monitored.
- Hire and assist in the training of Project Managers, LD and Vert. Purchasing staff, Construction Managers, Assistant Construction Managers, Detailers/Laborers.
- Oversee training on process/procedures and implementation of company initiatives.
- Identify training opportunities/needs.
- Establish Community Standards for:
- Weekly team meetings with customers and community specific staff.
- Maintaining a meeting notes format.
- Updating Builder Portal.
- Community presentation cleanliness (Site Logistical plan).
- Community safety.
- Schedule updates.
- Warranty and construction united in completing homes.
- Turnovers to customers/Property Management companies.
- Team Leadership & Culture Advocacy:
- Set goals and holds team members accountable for results.
- Ensure that team members receive regular feedback on their performance.
- Provide input relative to the continued development of Mosaic homebuilding proprietary software.
- Maintain and grow the incredible culture of Mosaic and maintain a blame-free environment where we focus on the issues, not our team.
- Promote a culture of celebrating success, yet also celebrating failures (which promote the theme of “continuous improvement”) and learning from our mistakes.
- It is imperative that the Construction Project Manager is aware of key metrics within their assigned communities, to include yet not limited to:
- Horizontal and direct costs, per community and trending of costs.
- Cycle times, BP starts and completions.
- Community overheads as a % of revenue.
- Community overheads (General Conditions).
- Checklist completion for each stage of construction.
- QA program and status of each homebuyer in the process.
- “All Items Complete at Close” tracker for community. Goal of minimum 90% success rate, per community, per year.
- Warranty open tickets and aging.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management or similar focus area preferred.
- 15+ years of experience with a deep understanding of the construction industry.
- Deep experience in SFD, BTR/horizontal apartment type horizontal and vertical construction, and high-density development required.
- Both residential and commercial construction experience is required.
- Strong experience managing complex communities and overseeing construction personnel successfully from start to finish.
Company Benefits: Mosaic offers a competitive salary, 401(K), medical dental, vision, and life insurance, time off and a generous number of company holidays.
Company Work-Environment Philosophy: Mosaic is a flex-first work environment, meaning some of the roles are worked primarily on a remote basis with some visibility to the corporate offices while others are worked physically in the corporate office or other such assigned in-person physical hub with some flexibility for occasional remote. These schedules are pre-designed and physical workspaces pre-determined based specifically on the position and visibility needs.
The equal employment opportunity policy of this employer provides for a fair and equal employment opportunity for all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, familial status, disability, or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law. This employer hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.