Senior Software Engineer - Machine Learning
Who we are
Our mission at Nylas is to turn communication into inspiration and insight. We empower over 100,000 developers and over 900 companies all over the world to access, parse, and gain insights from communications data to provide better experiences for their customers and users, all while providing top tier security and compliance. To achieve this vision, we’ve raised over $175M from Tiger Global, 8VC, ScaleUp, Spark Capital, Slack, and more.
We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and a massive opportunity (the world runs on communication and data). By continuing to hire exceptional people from all different backgrounds and perspectives, we have the opportunity to make Nylas one of the biggest, most successful and equitable technology companies in the world.
Nylas is an advocate for the well-being of our employees. We trust our employees and give them the autonomy to achieve their goals without focusing on when, where, and how they get there. We are a flexibility first workplace, but if Nylanauts want to work from an office, we have access to WeWork space across the globe.
We are also strong supporters of internal and cross-team mobility and growth. We want Nylas to be a place where anyone can be supported to grow, learn, and become the best at what they do. We’ve been named a top Startup for career growth and development by Forbes, Great Places to Work, and Comparably!
From our CTO + Co-Founder, Christine Spang:
“We have a number of folks on the team who started as an individual contributor and became staff level or leaders in their area. I personally love seeing people reach their full potential and become successful at Nylas.”
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer with a strong background in Machine Learning and Infrastructure to join our team. As a Senior Software Engineer - Machine Learning, you will be responsible for designing and developing complex software systems that incorporate machine learning models and you will be in charge of maintaining the production infrastructure.
What You’ll Do
- You’ll apply NLP and ML techniques to solve real world problems
- You’ll work on high impact datasets mission critical to the rest of the world from healthcare, operations, and infrastructure
- You’ll collaborate with ML engineers to implement an intelligent layer on top of emails, calendar events, and contacts.
- You’ll build microservice and REST API to expose your models
- You’ll help maintaining and improving the current infrastructure that process millions of emails per day
- You will work with SREs to help improve the CI/CD pipelines for deployments
- You will participate in code reviews and contribute to team development standards
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer systems engineering, software engineering, mathematics, or completion of a college program in computer science
- Master's degree in a related discipline is preferred
- 4+ years experience working in a machine learning related role
- 4+ years of experience working with Python
- 2+ years of experience working with Kubernetes or similar tool
- Excellent knowledge of system design
- Excellent knowledge of RegExes
- Good understanding of Statistics, Data Modeling, and Machine Learning
- Good understanding of cloud infrastructure
Bonus points if you have:
- Knowledge of AWS or GCP cloud environments
- Knowledge of GoLang and/or Spark
- Previous NLP experience
- Previous experience with DataEngineering tools (e.g. Glue, Airflow, DataFlow)
- Previous experience working with email data
As a Senior Software Engineer - Machine Learning, you will be expected to provide technical guidance and mentorship to junior members of the team. You will also be expected to work independently on complex projects and lead efforts to improve our software development practices.
- Nylas Alumni Fund: after 3 years employment, Nylas will invest $20k into your seed round if you decide to start your own company
- Healthcare: 90% premium coverage for medical, dental and vision for you and your family
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO): we take this very seriously as we care about the well-being of our employees
- RRSP with 3% employer contribution
- Education Stipend: $1,250 CAD annual education & development benefit
- Cell Phone: $60 CAD per month stipend towards cell phone reimbursement
- Fully Paid Parental Leave: 12 weeks parental leave (maternity & paternity)
The estimated base pay range for this role is $124,000 - $155,000 CAD + equity, perks, and benefits.
The total compensation for this role will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location.
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application and will either move forward with your application, find another team that might be better suited to your skills, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.