Nylas is looking for a Technical Writer to join the Developer Relations team. As an API platform, we know Documentation is more than just a collection of static documents on a single subdomain. Good documentation guides and informs the developer journey at every phase, and is part of how Nylas as a company delivers good outcomes for developers at every level.
If this broad approach resonates with you, you’ll be super excited about joining our team: you’ll get to work with a DevRel lead that is *excited* about docs, has Docs for Developers open while writing this JD, and understands the tremendous effort required to ship and maintain great docs. You’ll partner with our seasoned Staff Technical Writer who is currently leading us through re-inventing our Docs game. And you’ll also get to work with a team of Developer Advocates who are engaged with docs and making active contributions. (Our Director of Developer Relations recently gave a talk for Nordic APIs about Docs if you’re interested.)
Of course, your reach will go beyond the Developer Relations team as you collaborate with our engineers, product managers, support team, and other contributors.
Confident, coachable writers who love learning new things, who know how to move quickly and can take risks will succeed here.
What You'll Bring
- Contribute to our Developer Education mandate across the board: Nylas docs, interactive quickstart guides, changelogs, and more—all as part of a team
- Create and maintain high-quality documentation for our customers
- Work cross-functionally to get the job done
- Manage multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced, continually changing environment
- Continually help improve our processes in the service of delivering a better developer experience
- Write, maintain, and collaborate on code samples in a variety of languages
- Edit, clarify, and proofread documentation written by others
- Manage issues and pull requests on GitHub; track work on Jira; manage internal knowledge on Confluence
What You'll Do
Don't worry if you don't meet all of them! Let us know how you'd be a good addition in a cover letter.
- Experience: 2+ years of experience writing technical documentation for a software developer audience
- Professional skill: Highly organized, self-managed, and a proven ability to work with a globally distributed team
- Docs-as-code: You love docs-as-code and want to automate everything
- Command line: You know how to use a command line, Git, and Markdown
- Communication skills: you have a knack for translating highly complex subject matter into concise, easy-to-understand content pieces and collateral that are compelling, memorable, and captivating
- Hands-on: Proactive problem solver; you see an area of improvement and aren’t afraid to fix it
Include with your application
Provide links to the following:
- At least 2 technical writing samples. Bonus if they’re your own completely-original work. (If you only have examples of docs you’ve edited, those are also good.)
- [Not required, but helpful] Links to any open source projects you’ve contributed, including interactions you’ve had
The estimated base pay range for this role is 68000 CAD - 85000 CAD + equity, perks, and benefits.
The total compensation for this role will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location
- Nylas Alumni Fund: after 3 years employment, Nylas will invest $20k into your seed round if you decide to start your own company
- Healthcare: 90% premium coverage for medical, dental and vision for you and your family
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO): we take this very seriously as we care about the well-being of our employees
- RRSP with 3% employer contribution
- Education Stipend: $1,250 CAD annual education & development benefit
- Cell Phone: $60 CAD per month stipend towards cell phone reimbursement
- Fully Paid Parental Leave: 12 weeks parental leave (maternity & paternity)
Nylas is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Nylas is registered, you will not be eligible for employment. Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Nylas is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also EEO is the Law.
Something looks off?