Business Development Representative
Who We Are
Redefining Communication. At Nylas, we're not just processing messages—we're extracting wisdom from every interaction. Our platform empowers over 100,000 developers and 900+ companies globally, turning communications into actionable insights. With support from heavy-hitters like Tiger Global and Slack, we're crafting a future where every digital conversation enhances understanding and innovation. Be a part of this communication revolution!
Eligibility to Apply
Nylas operates as a virtually distributed organization, embracing remote work as part of our core identity. While we offer the flexibility of a remote-first culture, our business operations are registered in specific states across the United States. We encourage applicants who are permanent residents in any of the following states to apply: California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin. This enables us to comply with local regulations and provide the best support for our employees.
As a Business Development Representative (BDR) at Nylas, you are the driving force behind our sales organization's lead generation efforts. Your role involves conducting thorough research to identify prospects, skillfully qualifying both cold and warm leads through outbound calling and emailing, and nurturing these leads through initial qualification and needs assessment conversations. Serving as a crucial link in our sales process, you are responsible for not just generating opportunities but also building a qualified pipeline. In collaboration with our sales and marketing teams, your efforts as a BDR are vital in propelling the growth of our Go-To-Market (GTM) strategy and expanding the reach of the Nylas platform.
- Actively generate qualified opportunities through focused outbound calling, emailing, and LinkedIn, employing strategic approaches to connect with key prospects.
- Lead Qualification and Follow-Up: When receiving inbound leads, effectively qualify leads and diligently follow up on inquiries. Utilize product-specific content, developed by our Marketing team, for targeted lead generation campaigns, ensuring a cohesive and informed approach.
- Appointment Setting: Coordinate with your prospect and account executive to set qualified appointments, playing a pivotal role in building our top of funnel growth.
- Research-Based Selling Strategies: Support and develop selling strategies based on thorough research and a strong understanding of general business acumen. Your insights will be crucial in tailoring our approach to different market segments and individual prospects.
- Collaboration with Sales Team: Work closely with the sales team to prioritize efforts, refine selling strategies, and share results. Regularly plan and evaluate next steps to ensure continual alignment and optimization of sales activities.
- Customer Relationship Development: Take initiative to extend and deepen relationships with existing customers. This includes further qualifying and accessing accounts and clearly articulating Nylas’ value proposition to enhance customer engagement.
- Marketing Collaboration: Partner with the Marketing team to communicate the results of marketing campaigns. Provide valuable feedback to enhance the effectiveness and success of future campaigns, ensuring a symbiotic relationship between sales and marketing efforts.
- Support for Sales and Marketing Initiatives: Actively contribute to various Sales and Marketing initiatives aimed at increasing revenue opportunities. This may include participating in cross-functional projects, promotional events, and strategic planning sessions.
- Experience: At least 1+ years of experience as an SDR (Inbound) or BDR in the software industry is preferred. This background is key for understanding the nuances of the role and the industry landscape.
- Systems Proficiency: Experience with critical sales and internal tools including CRM, Sales Engagement tools, SalesNavigator, GoogleWorkspace, Slack, and more. This skill will facilitate efficient management of client relationships and sales processes.
- Business Acumen: Strong business acumen is essential, particularly with the ability to rapidly become an expert in API based solutions.
- Outbound Campaigns: A proven track record in executing high-volume outbound campaigns using phone, email, and social media. This includes a history of achieving measurable goals in lead generation and pipeline development. References to validate these achievements are preferred.
- Sales Training: Formal sales training is an added advantage, providing a solid foundation in key sales methodologies and techniques.
- Research Skills: Adept at conducting thorough research to identify opportunities with ideal customer profiles and prospects, utilizing the internet and other tools provided by the company.
- Communication Skills: Excellent writing skills are crucial for sending concise, well-crafted communications to prospects. Equally important is being a keen listener, showing high curiosity and the willingness to ask questions to fully understand prospects' business needs and challenges.
- Preparation and Strategy: An individual who meticulously prepares for each client interaction and equips others involved with the necessary information for highly effective meetings.
- Relationship Building: A natural people person who enjoys meeting new people and building relationships. An enthusiastic ambassador for our company and brand, eager to create connections and foster partnerships.
- Solution-Oriented: Passionate about understanding the business challenges of prospects and effectively aligning our product with their goals.
- Community Engagement: Active participation in industry events, software clubs, and associations, with a commitment to giving back to the software community.
- Persistence: Recognizing that responsiveness does not always equate to a lack of need. Your role involves creating consistent touchpoints and developing thoughtful relationships. Persistence is key to uncovering and nurturing potential opportunities with the Nylas platform.
- Initial Telephone Screening (30 minutes): Your journey begins with a 30-minute telephone interview with our Recruiter. This initial conversation focuses on understanding your background, experiences, and motivations. It's also an opportunity for you to learn more about Nylas and the role in question.
- In-depth Interview with the Hiring Manager (60 minutes): Following a successful screening, you'll engage in a 60-minute comprehensive interview via Google Meet with the Hiring Manager. This session delves deeper into your professional skills, your fit for the role, and aligns your career aspirations with the opportunities at Nylas.
- Take-Home Business Case Assignment: Post the interview with the Hiring Manager, you'll be given a Take-Home Business Case to work on. This exercise is designed to assess your practical skills and approach to real-world business scenarios relevant to the role at Nylas.
- Technical and Sales Skills Interview: The final stage involves a detailed interview focusing on both your technical acumen and sales abilities. You will be given the opportunity to show your skillset on a live mock call. This step is crucial in evaluating your proficiency in areas directly pertinent to the Business Development Representative role.
Throughout this process, we aim to provide you with a clear understanding of the role and our expectations, while also getting to know your strengths and how you could contribute to the Nylas team. We value transparency and communication, and we encourage candidates to ask questions and engage actively at each stage of the interview process.
Our onboarding at Nylas is 5 rigorous weeks of enablement with an examination at the beginning of week 6. These 5 weeks of enablement cover all aspects of Nylas and your role as a salesperson including: Nylas culture and orientation, product enablement, sales enablement, and training on company operations and tools that we use. We provide enablement through every learning medium; videos, modules, and quizzes through our LMS, 1:1’s, team sessions, role plays, projects, and more. The purpose of these 5 weeks is to learn the fundamentals needed to pass an examination. In the BDR examination, we will test you in your ability to: Research a prospect account, and define: What industry they are in, who are their customers, what is their revenue model, are they B2B/B2C, what is a gap in their product that Nylas can support with, what is an ideal state that we can help them achieve, what is the business impact or implications of that gap between their current and ideal state. We also ask you to draft a cold email to this prospect account and give a mock cold call. Once you pass this examination, you will start working live with Nylas account executives and targeting prospect accounts that define our ICP.
- Week 01: Getting situated with your IT, Nylas orientation, and getting to know your team
- Week 02: Product Enablement
- Week 03: Product Enablement / Sales Enablement
- Week 04: Sales Enablement / Trainings on your tech stack
- Week 05: Account research project / Practice cold calls and messaging.
- Week 06. BDR Examination
- Week 07: You are live!
Benefits & Perks:
- Comprehensive Healthcare Benefits: We offer a robust healthcare plan, covering 90% of premiums for medical, dental, and vision for both you and your dependents. Our goal is to ensure you and your family have access to the best healthcare options.
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO): At Nylas, we deeply value the health and happiness of our team members. We offer Unlimited PTO, encouraging employees to take the time they need for rest, relaxation, and personal pursuits. This policy reflects our commitment to maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
- Retirement Savings Plan: To support your long-term financial security, we provide a 401k plan with a generous 3% employer contribution, regardless of the employee's own contribution level.
- Education and Professional Development: A commitment to your growth is a commitment to our success. We offer an annual education stipend of $1,000 USD to support your ongoing learning and professional development.
- Cell Phone Stipend: Recognizing the importance of staying connected, Nylas provides a $50 USD monthly stipend towards your cell phone expenses.
- Fully Paid Parental Leave: Embracing the significance of family, we offer 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave for both maternity and paternity, ensuring you have ample time to bond with your new child (birthing, adoption or fostering) without financial worries.
- Nylas Alumni Fund: after 3 years employment, Nylas will invest $20k into your seed round if you decide to start your own company
Employment Eligibility at Nylas. Nylas operates with a diverse and distributed workforce, but our registration as an employer is limited to specific states. Therefore, to be eligible for employment, candidates must reside in or be able to work from a state where Nylas is officially registered as an employer. We understand the complexities of location-based employment and strive to accommodate a wide geographic range, but limitations do apply in certain instances.
Regarding Visa Sponsorship. Please be aware that our ability to offer visa sponsorship may be restricted in certain remote locations. While we endeavor to support a globally diverse team, these limitations are an important consideration for candidates requiring visa sponsorship."
Nylas is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also EEO is the Law.