Staff Software Engineer
Local or 100% Remote
Who we are
Our mission at Point is to make homeownership more valuable and accessible to all. Every day, we explore, build, and iterate to create innovative financial products that improve the lives of our customers. Together, we’re creating the premier full-stack home equity platform to help current homeowners access their home wealth and aspiring ones realize their dream of homeownership. We recently raised a $120M Series C led by WestCap, and have raised over $170M overall from Andreessen Horowitz and other leading investors.
About the role
You will be an integral part of a tight-knit engineering team working to design and implement new features, improve our architecture and take the lead to launch new products. The people who thrive at Point are product-focused engineers who care deeply about our customers and get excited about using technology to help make an impact in people’s lives. We’re looking for people who are comfortable working throughout the product development cycle and across all levels of the tech stack to deliver business results quickly.
Our tech stack is anchored by Ruby on Rails, React, and PostgreSQL.
- Technical and design leadership across high impact projects that directly impact business goals
- Set Strategic technical directions for the engineering organization
- Collaborate and partner with the design team and product managers to create an engaging and transparent customer experience
- Initiates, directs and facilitates alignment and clarity across teams on goals, outcomes, and timelines criticality related to corporate strategy, products, potential inventions and ability to resolve existing problems.
- Be a highly hands on engineer that manages project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and enhance large scale software solutions
- Influence and mentor a distributed set of engineers
- We’re looking for at least 12+ years of professional experience with 4+ years in a technical leadership role leading project teams and setting technical direction
- Expert experience building scaled web-based applications with deep understanding of business goals
- Prior experience working for a startup is preferred.
- A formal degree in computer science is helpful, but we have people working in this role with only a high school diploma and others with PhDs. We care more about what you can deliver.
- Exceptional technical design and technical communication skills.
- Able to mentor experienced engineers to help them grow in their technical proficiency and leadership skills
- Able to negotiate trade offs between product and engineering priorities to maximize the business value of engineering effort
Generous health benefits
We provide medical, dental, and vision plans with options for flexible spending accounts (FSA) and health savings accounts (HSA). Point covers 99% of employee medical, dental, and vision premiums.
Unlimited paid time off
Recharge with unlimited paid time off and 10 company holidays.
Flexible remote & onsite work
Our teams work from many different locations and time zones. We support fully remote work and also have an amazing in-person environment in our downtown Palo Alto, CA HQ.
Fully paid parental leave
Point will true-up wages from state-applicable PFL earnings so that the employee’s total gross pay will be equivalent to 100% of their regular base pay, as well as two weeks of fully paid leave to be available after exhaustion of state PFL.
For employees in states without Paid Family Leave, Point will provide up to 8 weeks of paid parental leave.
In addition, all employees will receive 4 weeks of fully paid transition time. For four weeks after returning from parental leave, and following the use of all other paid leave benefits, you may work part-time, meaning two or three days per week, and receive 100% of regular base pay.
We provide 401K retirement plans for employees as well as guaranteed life insurance and short- and long-term disability coverage. Full-time employees have the opportunity to take ownership in the company through equity options.
Extra work/life benefits
We provide monthly stipends for internet, mobile plans, and a one-time home office reimbursement.
Point is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class. Each individual at Point brings their own perspectives, work experiences, lifestyles, and cultures with them, and we believe that a more diverse team creates more innovative products, provides better services to customers, and helps us all grow and learn.
Compensation at Point will be determined by skills, experience, and geographic location. Point has identified the expected annual base salary range for roles at this level based on market by tiers (Region | Location | Market Range):
- Tier 1 | San Francisco Bay Area, New York, Los Angeles, & Seattle | $176,000 - $265,000
- Tier 2 | Chicago, Austin, Denver, Boston, Washington DC, San Diego | $149,600 - $224,400
- Tier 3 | All other US metro areas | $140,800 - $211,220
This does not include any other potential components of the compensation package, including equity, benefits, and perks outlined above. At the launch of each position, we benchmark compensation to the appropriate role and level utilizing competitive compensation data from various data sources as references. At the offer stage, we use the signal we received from our interviews coupled with your experience, location, and other job-related factors to determine final compensation.
Something looks off?