Director, People Operations
Pomelo Care is a multi-disciplinary team of clinicians, engineers and problem solvers who are passionate about improving care for moms and babies. We are transforming outcomes for pregnant people and babies with evidence-based pregnancy and newborn care at scale. Our technology-driven care platform enables us to engage patients early, conduct individualized risk assessments for poor pregnancy outcomes, and deliver coordinated, personalized virtual care throughout pregnancy, NICU stays, and the first postpartum year. We measure ourselves by reductions in preterm births, NICU admissions, c-sections and maternal mortality; we improve outcomes and reduce healthcare spend.
As the founding member of Pomelo’s people team, you’ll be responsible for managing all of our People Operations functions, including onboarding, payroll & benefits, talent development, performance management, and total rewards strategy. You will have a front-row seat to how we establish our organization, culture, and people processes.
In this role, you will:
- Facilitate all aspects of the employee lifecycle, including new-hire onboarding, offboarding, benefits enrollments, leave of absences, and general employee support
- Manage development programs, which include career frameworks, semi-annual performance reviews, and annual compensation cycles
- Develop a talent development program to enable employees and managers to build skills and competencies to be successful in their roles
- Be a steward of Pomelo’s culture, implementing virtual team engagement and other best-practices to promote an inclusive, diverse, and equitable workplace
- Maintain compliance with local, state, and federal employment laws and regulations, and update policies and/or procedures as required
- Serve as the HR business partner to our teams, including coaching, counseling and guiding managers on the execution of talent management, career development, performance management, and feedback
- Oversee payroll processing and benefits administration
- Collect feedback to understand the needs of our employees and take ownership of identifying and implementing solutions
- Continuously improve and upscale processes as the organization scales
- Build analytics capability to track key people-related metrics and ensure key stakeholders have the right insights to inform decision making
Who you are:
- You have 8+ years of hands-on HR support experience for high-growth teams, working directly with employees and managers across a variety of seniority levels
- Significant experience in benefits administration, payroll, systems administration, compensation and related HR-process functions
- Demonstrated ability to engage diverse employee populations and support/coach managers
- Comfortable with ambiguity and excited to build things from scratch
- You have a handle on compliance and best practices in the space
- Commitment to driving diversity, equity & inclusion initiatives and a strong personal conviction toward combating racism
Why you should join our team
By joining Pomelo, you will get in on the ground floor of a fast-moving, well-funded, and mission-driven startup where you will have a profound impact on the patients we serve. And you'll learn, grow, be challenged, and have fun with your team while doing it.
We strive to create an environment where employees from all backgrounds are respected. We value working across disciplines, moving fast, data-driven decision making, learning, and always putting the patient first. We also offer:
- Competitive healthcare benefits
- Generous equity compensation
- Unlimited vacation
- Membership in the First Round Network (a curated and confidential community with events, guides, thousands of Q&A questions, and opportunities for 1-1 mentorship)
At Pomelo, we are committed to hiring the best team to improve outcomes for all mothers and babies, regardless of their background. We need diverse perspectives to reflect the diversity of problems we face and the population we serve. We look to hire people from a variety of backgrounds, including but not limited to race, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, disability, and veteran status.
Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our company’s size and industry, and are one part of the total compensation package that also includes equity, benefits, and other opportunities at Pomelo Care. In accordance with New York City, Colorado, California, and other applicable laws, Pomelo Care is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role. Individual pay decisions are ultimately based on a number of factors, including qualifications for the role, experience level, skillset, geography, and balancing internal equity. A reasonable estimate of the current salary range is $140,000-$170,000. We expect most candidates to fall in the middle of the range. We also believe that your personal needs and preferences should be taken into consideration, so we allow some choice between equity and cash.