Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2023
We are seeking a skilled and dedicated Product Owner to join our team, currently transitioning to Kanban. As a Product Owner, you will play a crucial role in managing the product backlog, writing user stories, and assisting with metrics to ensure successful delivery of our products. You will collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, stakeholders, and customers to understand their needs and translate them into actionable items for the development team. Your strong organizational skills, communication abilities, and agile mindset will be vital in driving product success within the Kanban framework.
What you’ll do
1. Backlog Management:
- Prioritize and manage the product backlog, ensuring that it is refined, up-to-date, and aligned with the product vision and goals.
- Collaborate with stakeholders, customers, and the development team to identify, capture, and prioritize user stories, epics, and technical tasks.
- Break down high-level requirements into smaller, actionable user stories that can be easily understood and implemented by the development team.
- Continuously groom and refine the backlog to ensure that it is ready for the upcoming sprints and reflects the evolving product needs.
2. User Story Writing:
- Craft clear, concise, and well-defined user stories that capture user needs, acceptance criteria, and any necessary technical details.
- Collaborate with the Engineering, Product and Design teams to ensure a shared understanding of the user stories, their priority, and the expected outcome.
- Provide guidance and clarification to the development team during the implementation of user stories, answering questions and resolving any ambiguities that may arise.
3. Metrics and Analytics:
- Track key product metrics to measure the success and impact of the product.
- Collaborate with the team to establish data-driven feedback loops, analyzing and interpreting the metrics to drive continuous improvement.
- Work closely with stakeholders to understand their reporting requirements, and provide meaningful insights and reports based on the collected metrics.
- Leverage data and analytics to make informed decisions, identify trends, and recommend product enhancements to achieve business goals.
4. Cross-functional Collaboration:
- Foster effective collaboration and communication with stakeholders, including developers, designers, QA engineers, and other team members.
- Act as the main point of contact for stakeholders, providing regular updates on the product's progress, soliciting feedback, and addressing any concerns or issues that may arise.
- Ensure a smooth flow of work, identify and resolve dependencies, and optimize the team's productivity.
What you’ll need
- Previous experience as a Product Owner or similar role, preferably in an Agile/Scrum or Kanban environment.
- Strong understanding of Agile principles, methodologies, and frameworks.
- Excellent backlog management skills, including the ability to prioritize effectively and manage competing demands.
- Proficient in writing user stories with clear acceptance criteria and a focus on customer value.
- Familiarity with metrics, analytics, and data-driven decision making.
- Strong communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to facilitate discussions, resolve conflicts, and build consensus among diverse stakeholders.
- Analytical mindset, with the ability to analyze complex problems, identify patterns, and propose solutions.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational and time management skills.
Life at Thunkable
Thunkable is on a mission to democratize app development and empower everyone to build without writing a single line of code. Our platform enables anyone to build and publish their iOS and Android apps for free. Today, non-engineers use Thunkable to prototype and share new ideas, develop proofs-of-concept for their own digital business, and design and ship their own ad-supported and premium apps. Thunkable was incubated at Google Research and MIT.
We are backed by Lightspeed, NEA, Owl Ventures, SV Angel, Zhenfund, and Y-Combinator. Our founders are MIT engineers who want to extend the power and fun of creation to people who don’t code.
Joining Thunkable means joining a team of passionate, entrepreneurial and friendly people with different backgrounds, shared ideas, and similar goals.
What will you get when joining our team?
- Get compensated: We offer competitive pay, equity and benefits to our employees based on their location. You’ll get access to unlimited PTO regardless of your location.
- Wellness and Training Budget: We value your well-being and want to invest in it.
- Work Where You Want: The company is based in San Francisco (with an office), but operates globally, with team members working across a number of cities, countries, and time zones (to facilitate async work we prioritize countries and locations in a max 2h time zone difference from those hubs: San Francisco, New York and Dublin)
- Shared values: Creativity, Openness, Transparency, Persistence, and Entrepreneurialism.
- Challenge yourself by acquiring new abilities, interacting with clients, enhancing products, or learning design. We will encourage you to reach your full potential.
We believe that a diverse and inclusive workplace helps ensure we learn from each other’s different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives and is critical for building a product that supports the wide range of our users’ needs. Thunkable is an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
This position offers a competitive salary that is based on a combination of factors including location. The salary range for this role in San Francisco is between $80,000 and $130,000 per year and will be based on qualifications and skills. If the successful candidate is located in a different location or country, the salary may vary based on the cost of living, currency and other local factors. We are open to discussing salary with candidates who are interested in the role and may be willing to negotiate based on the candidate's experience and qualifications. We are committed to paying our employees fairly and providing opportunities for professional growth and development.