Software Engineering, Data Science
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Thursday, November 9, 2023
What you'll do
- Participate in the design, development, and integration of cutting-edge machine learning techniques within the Thunkable platform, in partnership with product management, full-stack engineering, and design teams.
- Establish use cases and devise evaluation methods & benchmarks for various approaches to support and enhance Thunkable’s products and user experiences.
- Actively monitor and refine the performance and efficiency of live ML systems.
- Keep abreast of the latest trends and breakthroughs in machine learning, NLP, and adjacent domains to maintain our edge in innovation.
- Mentor team members, fostering AI literacy and thought leadership within the company.
- Research developments in LLMs and generative AI to identify opportunities for leveraging them to boost Thunkable’s capabilities.
What you'll need
- A minimum of 5 years of experience as a Software Engineer or equivalent research experience.
- Strong grasp of core web technologies.
- Proven ability to dissect and resolve complex software development issues across diverse components.
- Excellent problem-solving acumen with the capability to articulate intricate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- A history, if brief, of working with large language models and generative AI and associated techniques such as RAG, prompt management or fine tuning.
- A strong advocate for ethical AI, prioritizing transparency and user-centric approaches
- Advanced degree (Master’s or Ph.D.) in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, or a related field, or industry experience to match.
- Proficiency in SQL, familiarity with large datasets, and experience with cloud platforms like AWS or GCP.
- Deep understanding of deep learning, reinforcement learning, and NLP.
- Experience in handling and analyzing large datasets with statistical and machine learning techniques.
- Knowledge in the design of experiments, survey design, and large-scale AB testing.
- Technical knowledge in Deep Learning, particularly in Generative AI (e.g., GANs, GPT models).Familiarity with Multi-modal ML, Graph ML, and/or Reinforcement Learning.
- Contributions to technical articles and presentations at Engineering/ML conferences are advantageous.
- Experience developing and training models in PyTorch is ideal.
Life at Thunkable
Thunkable is on a mission to democratize app development and empower everyone to build without writing a single line of code. Our platform enables anyone to build and publish their iOS and Android apps for free. Today, non-engineers use Thunkable to prototype and share new ideas, develop proofs-of-concept for their own digital business, and design and ship their own ad-supported and premium apps. Thunkable was incubated at Google Research and MIT.
We are backed by Lightspeed, NEA, Owl Ventures, SV Angel, Zhenfund, and Y-Combinator. Our founders are MIT engineers who want to extend the power and fun of creation to people who don’t code.
Joining Thunkable means joining a team of passionate, entrepreneurial and friendly people with different backgrounds, shared ideas, and similar goals.
What will you get when joining our team?
- Get compensated: We offer competitive pay, equity and benefits to our employees based on their location. You’ll get access to unlimited PTO regardless of your location.
- Wellness and Training Budget: We value your well-being and want to invest in it.
- Work Where You Want: The company is based in San Francisco (with an office), but operates globally, with team members working across a number of cities, countries, and time zones (to facilitate async work we prioritize countries and locations in a max 2h time zone difference from those hubs: San Francisco, New York and Dublin)
- Shared values: Creativity, Openness, Transparency, Persistence, and Entrepreneurialism.
- Challenge yourself by acquiring new abilities, interacting with clients, enhancing products, or learning design. We will encourage you to reach your full potential.
We believe that a diverse and inclusive workplace helps ensure we learn from each other’s different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives and is critical for building a product that supports the wide range of our users’ needs. Thunkable is an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
This position offers a competitive salary that is based on a combination of factors including location. The salary range for this role in San Francisco is between $160,000 and $190,000 per year and will be based on qualifications and skills. If the successful candidate is located in a different location or country, the salary may vary based on the cost of living, currency and other local factors. We are open to discussing salary with candidates who are interested in the role and may be willing to negotiate based on the candidate's experience and qualifications. We are committed to paying our employees fairly and providing opportunities for professional growth and development.