Senior or Staff Data Analyst - Commercial
What is Underdog?
Founded by a team of industry veterans, Underdog was born with the idea that bringing strategic innovation to sports gaming and entertainment is the key to success in an exceptionally competitive market. Underdog has quickly established itself as a leader in the space, and is committed to building the best sports gaming platform in the industry -- and supporting the most passionate community of sports fans while doing it!
At Underdog, we’re not only about creating these awesome products, but also about growing our culture of passion, ownership, and fun! We believe that great companies are made out of great people. Our continual aim is to create an inclusive environment for everyone, at all levels, to achieve their highest potential at work.
We are seeking intellectually curious, innovative, and highly motivated individuals to join our Data Science Analytics team as foundational members. As a Data Analyst at Underdog, You will play a crucial role in driving our analytics capabilities, fueling the development of next-generation AI-powered gaming platforms that will revolutionize the sports gaming industry. Join a dynamic team dedicated to tackling cutting-edge data science challenges in the realm of growth marketing.
In this role, you will be responsible for analyzing user data to identify trends, patterns, and delivering insights that will inform business strategy and drive business decisions. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in data mining, analytics and statistics, as well as experience in supporting commercial (operations, finance, and product) teams.
You will develop analytical frameworks, observational analyses, models, features or metrics that leverage the massive scale of Underdog’s user base to understand user behavior, and to optimize the experience at all stages of the user journey. You will work closely with the machine learning team to develop advanced analytics solutions that drive business value.
Please note, Underdog is a U.S. based company and no sponsorship is available for this position at this time.
What you’ll do:
- Analyze business performance and trends, surface actionable insights and recommendations using data visualizations and presentations to a range of stakeholders
- Develop and implement advanced analytical models to drive revenue and assist in informed decision making
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify data needs and develop data-driven solutions and recommendations to make smarter, better, and faster decisions and improve our business
- Monitor our Fantasy business performance and diagnose areas of opportunity
- Assess opportunities to impact product optimization and influence customer behavior
- Deeply understand customer behavior, trends, and drivers of business performance
- Prepare monthly performance, commercial & operational insights to share with leadership
- Stay up-to-date with the latest trends and developments in business analytics and data science
Who you are:
- Bachelor's degree in a quantitative field, such as in Statistics, Math, Engineering, Computer Science, Economics, or similarly quantitative field
- 3+ years of analytics experience across data science or business intelligence teams at a consumer software company
- Strong experience with large-scale datasets using SQL
- Proven experience developing and implementing data visualizations and dashboards to communicate insights to stakeholders (e.g. Tableau/Looker)
- Experience with cloud-based data platforms and data warehousing solutions (e.g. BigQuery, Redshift, GCP, AWS)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, thrive in ambiguous environments and get excited about figuring out solutions to complex problems, and then executing on them
- Ability to work autonomously and lead initiatives across multiple product areas and communicate findings with leadership and cross functional teams
- Effective communication and presentation skills, with the ability to translate complex analyses to non-technical stakeholders
Even better if you have…
- Programming languages such as Python or R
- Applied statistics and mathematics skills: hypothesis testing, regression, classification, optimization, experimental design, or A/B testing, causal inference techniques, econometrics, bayesian and/or frequentist hypothesis testing
- Experience working at a hyper-growth consumer software company
- Demonstrated experience leading analytics projects where your recommendations had an impact on the business
- Current pulse on digital platforms, tools, and trends in media, advertising, gaming, sports entertainment
- Deep and broad knowledge of the measurement ecosystem (e.g., lift testing, multi-touch attribution, app install measurement, reach/audience) and industry trends
- Familiarity with data warehousing, data pipelines, and data governance best practices
Underdog Sports is firmly committed to equity, inclusion, and diversity. Our unique culture was built on the foundation of a safe and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. We highly value the mental, physical, and emotional health of our employees, and are continuously asking ourselves: what can we do better? Underdog is an equal opportunity employer and doesn't discriminate on the basis of creed, race, sexual orientation, gender, age, disability status or any other defining characteristic. Our targeted compensation rate for this position is between $105 and $200,000, depending on experience, plus equity. Think your skills are exceptional and warrant higher pay? Apply anyway! If we agree, we're willing to negotiate. Below you’ll find a few of our perks:
- Unlimited PTO (we're extremely flexible with the exception of the first few weeks before & into the NFL season)
- 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave
- Company paid Health, Dental, Vision plan option for employees and dependents
- 401k Match & FSA
- Remote, In-Person, or Hybrid Scheduling – we are 100% VIRTUAL FIRST!
- A $500 home office allowance
- $100 in UD credit
- Support for learning and development
- Book club – expense your books!
- Monthly raffle to win a sports ticket reimbursement of up to $500 (including game day snacks!)
- Lastly, an extremely transparent, fun, and engaging culture where you will grow both personally and professionally!