Senior Legal Counsel
Valora Inc’s mission is to unlock access to financial opportunity so everyone can create and share value without barriers. We believe every person should have access to the information, education, and tools needed to build wealth. When everyone has the potential to prosper, our world will be a more supportive and interconnected place.
Valora - Senior Legal Counsel
Valora is looking for a senior attorney to lead its legal function. As a generalist, this role will work directly with the executive team, in addition to business teams on a variety of aspects, including corporate matters, compliance, process and risk, and blockchain and cryptocurrency regulation review on a global scale. Importantly this role will support the global expansion of Valora as a mobile-first self-custodial wallet.
A successful Legal Counsel is a clear communicator, highly analytical, and possesses the necessary skills and experience to work effectively as part of a team. The ideal candidate makes thoughtful decisions in a timely manner and never hesitates to roll up their sleeves, particularly when advising different internal teams on decentralization, securities laws, money transmission and other related regulatory matters, that will inform Valora's go-to-market strategy and tactics. You have an eye for detail, hold yourself to the highest standard and are inspired to partner with teams to reach successful outcomes.
- You will serve as senior team member and key strategic advisor in developing and leading legal strategy, working cross-functionally with other teams
- Provide counseling for product features, programs and marketing campaigns and ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations, including current and upcoming regulations related to self-hosted wallets, consumer related issues, privacy and data security matters
- Identify and evaluate business and legal risks with new product and feature launches as well as operational models, providing long-term legal strategies while finding creative ways to mitigate risk while meeting business objectives
- Provide practical and strategic advice to business stakeholders, with the ability to summarize and communicate complex legal concepts to make them operational and usable for the business;
- Understanding of regulations and current and future regulatory landscape pertaining to cryptocurrency/DeFi/unhosted wallets and decentralized technologies in the US and abroad
- Draft and negotiate strategic agreements and contracts
- Partner with the executive team to oversee all corporate transactions, financings, and corporate governance. Manage all intellectual property, litigation and employment matters
- Liaise and manage outside counsel as necessary
Required Skills and Experience:
- JD degree from an accredited law school
- 10 years of relevant experience, either in-house or at a law firm, with a focus on contracts, processes, and policies.
- Ideal experience includes broker-dealer & money service. Strong understanding of crypto-relevant regulations, including payments, money transmission law, AML/KYC/OFAC rules, privacy and information security.
- Highly organized and responsive to tight deadlines. Experience working on many different projects simultaneously, with the ability and skill to prioritize
- Comfortable and adept at balancing legal risk and thinking creatively to affect business needs
- Team oriented with excellent judgment and a positive attitude; experience building consensus across cross-functional stakeholders
- Simultaneously an independent analytical thinker and high-energy team-player
- Experience and interest in blockchain and cryptocurrencies preferred
What We Offer (U.S. Full Time Employees):
- Competitive salary + options plan
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage
- Cell phone reimbursement ($50 monthly)
- $500 One-time WFH stipend for new hires
- 401(k) plan through Guideline (no matching)
- $1000 Annual Learning & Development Budget
- Health FSA
- Dependent Care FSA
- Team outings, TGIFs, and more