Engineering Manager - Product
Lancaster, OH, USA
Posted on Wednesday, July 22, 2020
About WorkOS 🚀
WorkOS is a developer platform that helps make apps enterprise-ready. We build tools and services for developers to help them implement features like Single Sign-On, Directory Sync, Multi-Factor Auth, and Audit Logs. We're a fully-distributed team with employees across US and EU time zones. We're well-funded, having recently raised an $80M Series B. Our fast growing customer base includes thousands of rapidly growing SaaS companies like Webflow, Vercel, Brex, PlanetScale, Loom, and Drata.
About the role 💭
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to lead teams responsible for some of our existing core products, as well as incubating new ones. This comprises a broad scope that includes our API and UX surfaces, and focuses on the needs of Developers, Buyers, and Enterprise Admins. The ideal candidate will be capable of understanding the details and being hands-on, while crafting a sound strategy and building an exceptional organization.
At WorkOS, we lead by serving our teams with empathy, knowledge, and coordination. In this role you would be focused on people and projects, and that excites you.
As Engineering Manager, we're interested in your experience growing an engineering team, managing highly technical projects and building a safe environment where engineers can focus on what they love: building.
- Own the core products that make WorkOS a modern, delightful developer experience
- Communicate directly with customers to build confidence in our roadmap, while instilling confidence and trust
- Find and execute on ways to move the entire business forward in the market
- Ensure proper team focus on priorities, milestones and deliverables
- Understand the team. You care about people and think they are the most exciting part of the job.
- Partner with engineers on architectural decisions and project scope
- Support your team through one-on-ones, setting goals, and providing feedback to promote well-being, and performance
- Foster a healthy, thriving and inclusive environment
- Lead the effort to attract, recruit, and retain diverse engineering talent
- Experienced: Have successfully led product-focused teams in high-performing organizations before
- Project management expertise: You are highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to manage impactful projects across functional teams. You track KPIs, milestones and hit your deliverables.
- Passion for people: You're passionate about managing, mentoring, and crafting opportunities to support your teams’ success. You don’t shy away from challenging performance conversations, and you recognize the relationship between clear, direct feedback and career growth. Ideally, you have experience managing managers on product-focused engineering teams.
- Low ego: As a manager you understand your role isn’t to be the “smartest” engineer in the room nor is it to make big technical decisions. You aren’t focused on being right, you’re focused on what’s right for the team. You love a job where you help others do their best work and aren’t attracted to the spotlight.
- Technical experience: You’ve previously been in a highly-technical role and understand what it takes to be a great software engineer. You understand technology but you are driven by organizing people and defining just enough process for the team to succeed.
- Recruiting know-how: You love building teams and know how challenging it is. You have experience partnering with internal recruiting teams to drive effective and fair hiring processes. You realize that recruiting is a large (and important!) part of your role.
- Distributed work or management experience: You’ve been a remote employee or have managed people in remote settings before. You recognize managing a remote team comes with its own rewards and challenges, and are committed to putting frameworks in place to flourish in this setting.
- Our stack is TypeScript, React, and Postgres (bonus points if you are familiar with these, but it's not required)
Benefits (US Only) 💖
At WorkOS, we offer resources that emphasize personal and familial well-being. We offer healthcare coverage for you and your family, including medical, dental, and vision. We offer parental leave, paid-time off and fully remote working arrangements.
- Competitive pay
- Substantial equity grants
- Healthcare insurance (Medical, Dental and Vision) for you and your family
- 401k matching
- Wellness and fitness monthly allowances
- Flex vacation policy
- Autonomy and flexibility with remote work
Equal Opportunity Employer
WorkOS is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, nationality, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability or age.