Director of Finance
Accounting & Finance
Posted on Tuesday, August 8, 2023
You.com is the world's first open search engine platform that summarizes the web for users, with no ads, superior privacy choices, and personalization through preferred sources.
You.com is more than just a new search engine — it's a movement to make the internet a place of trust, facts, and kindness — our guiding principles that we're committing to from day one.
It's an audacious goal, but we're ambitious people. We're looking for a few more ambitious folks to join our team.
We’re not just wide-eyed dreamers – we’re pragmatic doers, too. Our founder and CEO, Richard Socher previously started an AI company called MetaMind. Salesforce acquired the company, and Richard became Chief Scientist, leading the company’s AI efforts. Prior to MetaMind, Richard received the best Ph.D. thesis award from Stanford for his groundbreaking work on deep learning. Bryan McCann, co-founder and CTO, is a scientist and philosopher who led natural language processing teams at Salesforce after completing his Master's in C.S. at Stanford. Our founding team members have built companies worth hundreds of millions of dollars and scaled software to serve millions of users. For fun, we run marathons, paramotor, write poetry, read Latin, hike, and camp in the middle of nowhere.
If this sounds intriguing, say hello!
About the Job
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated Director of Finance to join our dynamic team. This role will be responsible for overseeing both the accounting and financial planning and analysis (FP&A) functions within our organization. The successful candidate will play a crucial role in managing financial operations, providing strategic guidance, and ensuring the company's financial health and growth.
Financial Reporting and Accounting:
- Oversee all accounting operations, including general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll.
- Ensure accurate and timely preparation of financial statements, reports, and compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Implement and maintain strong internal controls to safeguard company assets and prevent financial fraud.
- Collaborate with external auditors during annual audits and resolve any audit-related matters.
Budgeting and Forecasting:
- Lead the development of the annual operating and capital budgets, in coordination with various department heads and executives.
- Monitor budget performance, analyze variances, and provide insightful recommendations to optimize financial outcomes.
- Create long-term financial forecasts and scenario analysis to support strategic planning and decision-making.
Financial Analysis and Strategic Planning:
- Conduct in-depth financial analysis to identify business trends, opportunities, and potential risks.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to develop financial models, evaluate investment proposals, and assess business initiatives' financial viability.
- Provide financial insights and recommendations to senior management to guide strategic decision-making.
Cash Management and Treasury:
- Manage the company's cash flow, ensuring adequate liquidity to meet operational requirements and minimize financial risks.
- Optimize working capital and develop strategies to enhance cash management processes.
Performance Management and KPIs:
- Establish key performance indicators (KPIs) for measuring financial and operational performance.
- Regularly review financial metrics and operational performance to assess the company's overall health and make data-driven recommendations.
Systems and Process Improvement:
- Continuously improve financial systems, processes, and workflows to enhance efficiency and accuracy.
- Implement and maintain financial software and tools to support financial reporting and analysis.
- Proven experience (8+ years) in finance leadership roles encompassing both accounting and financial planning and analysis.
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles, financial reporting, and regulatory compliance.
- Demonstrated expertise in financial analysis, budgeting, forecasting, and strategic planning.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to translate data into actionable insights.
- Advanced proficiency in financial modeling and MS Excel; familiarity with financial management systems is a plus.
- Exceptional leadership and communication skills, with the ability to effectively interact with all levels of management and stakeholders.
- Strong business acumen and the ability to align financial strategies with overall business objectives.
- Experience in team management and fostering a collaborative work environment.
- Experience working in a startup, early stage preferred.
More about You.com
You.com is an equal opportunity employer: your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status don’t matter. We’re committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and supportive workplace that is effectively distributed around the world.
We're a remote-first company, but work hours are generally within the Pacific Timezone (7 hours behind UTC). We get together in-person regularly as a team, but as long as your able to maintain significant overlap with Pacific hours during the workday we're comfortable hiring in almost any location (location-specific legal requirements permitting).
• Competitive salary and equity
• Great health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
• 401(k) plan
• Unlimited time off (4+ weeks encouraged annually)
• Generous parental leave
• Flexible work hours