Manager, Business Development
Zip is tackling the $50B+TAM space to transform the way businesses manage spend. Our co-founders started Zip (YC S2020) because they saw the challenges companies had using outdated 20 year old software to manage hundreds of millions of dollars in spend every year. We invented the world’s leading Intake-to-Procure solution to bring a consumer grade user experience to B2B purchasing. And, we’re just getting started.
We're a fast growing team that helped scale category-defining companies like Airbnb, Facebook, Salesforce, Apple, Quora, Pinterest, and Square. With $180 million in funding from YC Continuity (Y Combinator), CRV and Tiger Global, we're valued at $1.5 billion in just 3 years. In today's economic climate, the value we offer our customers is more critical than ever and our business is accelerating. We're growing quickly and need your help!
Zip is looking for a creative and motivated Manager of our Business Development Team in Dallas with experience building and leading teams that are responsible for generating outbound interest and qualifying interest for our go-to-market teams. This is an in-office role in our Dallas office!
As a Manager of our Business Development (BDR) Team, you will lead and manage a team of Business Development Representatives (BDRs). Our BDRs conduct cold outreach to generate interest in Zip and this role will focus highly on providing strategic guidance on how to qualify and sell Zip as a must-have tool to prospects. You will partner closely with the Director of BD and the Sales Leadership Team to collaborate on account strategies while consistently achieving monthly quotas at the team level.
Since this role will make a large impact on our team, we’re looking for someone with proven success in past sales leadership roles such as achieving quota consistently, hiring and developing salespeople, experience with tech sales, and seeing the value of strong customer relationships within a sales process.
If you have a proactive customer-first mentality with the passion to demonstrate Zip’s commitment to our merchants, are committed to our values, want to lead and mentor best-in-class sales teams while executing at a high level, we’d love to talk to you! Applicants should have a growth mindset and be excited to work collaboratively across the Revenue and Product organization.
- 2+ years of experience leading Sales Development or Business Development teams of 5 or more
- Deep knowledge of Sales Engagement Platforms like Outreach.io and Salesloft
- A consistent track record of exceeding sales and/or retention goals
- Experience in developing and implementing strategic process and enablement materials to increase team efficiencies
- Deep understand of Outbound Sales Development including email copywriting, cold calling, objection handling, and qualifying
- Experience managing and coaching junior sales employees and a genuine motivation to help facilitate the career growth of others both personally and professionally
- Open to working in a hybrid environment
Nice to Haves
- Tech experience or proven success in a fast-paced environment
- An ability to celebrate change and embrace accountability
- Tech sales experience with a deep understanding of creating and fostering an exciting team culture
- Technical expertise and ability to acquire knowledge of new products and be able to articulate the value in an outbound prospecting motion
- Demonstrated ability to manage through change and help others learn how to celebrate wins together
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a paramount focus on detail
- Experience with Salesforce, Outreach, ZoomInfo, Gong, and/or SalesNavigator
Within 2 weeks, you will...
- Complete Zip’s new hire training & onboarding program alongside other new Zip team members
- Gain a broader understanding of our products and how your role fits into the organization
- Partner with the Director of Business Development on key success metrics for your role and how you will measure against them
- Partner with the Director of Business Development to discuss your personal and professional goals
- Deeply familiarize yourself with your BDR Team and begin plans for coaching, 1:1s, Enablement and more
- Begin developing familiarity with our business, platform, and applications, as well as our company’s key metrics
- Meet the BDR team in 1:1s to understand each individual’s current challenges and areas of opportunity
- Educate yourself on the current team structure, goals, and strengths/weaknesses
- Acclimate yourself with the day-to-day responsibilities of Zip’s Business Development team by shadowing team members, listening to recorded customer calls, and working closely with our Sales Leadership Team
- Create a coaching and mentorship plan for you BDR team
Within 1 month, you will...
- Create, maintain, coach, and mentor your BDR team to perform to a high standard
- Begin coaching and mentoring the team with call shadowing and role-plays to help them improve, both professionally and personally
- Educate yourself on our business model, outbound selling motion, and outreach approach by working a small book of business to understand the team’s headspace
- Understand the KPIs that are driving the business and have a familiarity with how to manage each individual on your team to them
- Gain an understanding of our typical hiring profile and create a vision for how to raise the bar with all future hiring for the BDR team
- Meet with leaders throughout the Revenue organization that share responsibility for obtaining similar target and identify key areas of opportunity
- Partner with the Director of BD to streamline onboarding and process throughout the org
Within 2 months, you will...
- Achieve department standards that include activity metrics and pipeline generation
- Establish a strong understanding of sales enablement, create/analyze team reports, identify coaching opportunities, and improve processes org wide
- Create an early concept of the future plan for your team and begin prioritizing
- Meet agreed-upon goals and targets relating to revenue targets and team productivity
- Continue to develop your team, both personally and professionally
- Consistently reflect on your own skill and development gaps
- Communicate team feedback to Director of BD
- Step up as a leader to share best practices across the sales organization and help others grow from your experiences
- Become a key stakeholder in Zip’s growth as we continue to scale our core business
Within 6-12 months, you will...
- Measure initial process improvements and make adjustments where appropriate
- Have built strong cross-departmental relationships within our revenue team including Revenue Leadership, Revenue Operations, Marketing, and Product, etc
- Exceed agreed-upon goals and targets relating to revenue targets and team productivity
- Continue to develop your team, both personally and professionally
- Become a Zip expert to confidently speak to ever-changing trends, new product features and platform enhancements to help our customers accomplish their goals
- Inspire the team to exceed targets by closely monitoring and managing our process consistency
- Obtain solicited and unsolicited feedback and act upon peer, customer, and leadership feedback
- Be recognized as a subject matter expert and leader at Zip
- Work with the Director of BD to establish and begin executing against the long-term plan for the BDR team including college recruitment, team process, scaling an org internationally
- Promote members on your team and begin creating a bench of new talent
Perks & Benefits
At Zip, we’re committed to providing our employees with everything they need to do their best work.
- 📈 Start-up equity
- 🦷 Full health, vision & dental coverage
- 🍽️ Catered breakfast, lunches & dinners for Dallas employees
- 🚍 Commuter benefit
- 🚠 Team building events & happy hours
- 🌴 Flexible PTO
- 💻 Apple equipment plus home office budget
- 💸 401k plan
We're looking to hire Zippers and that means hiring people who take ownership, communicate openly, have an underdog mindset, and are excited to increase the pace of innovation for every business in the world. We encourage all candidates to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match up to our job description. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workspace where everyone (regardless of age, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, and more) feels like they belong. We look forward to hearing from you!
Something looks off?