Principal Software Engineer (Insurance)
Healthcare should work for patients, but it doesn’t. In their time of need, they call down outdated insurance directories. Then wait on hold. Then wait weeks for the privilege of a visit. Then wait in a room solely designed for waiting. Then wait for a surprise bill. In any other consumer industry, the companies delivering such a poor customer experience would not survive. But in healthcare, patients lack market power. Which means they are expected to accept the unacceptable.
Zocdoc’s mission is to give power to the patient. To do that, we’ve built the leading healthcare marketplace that makes it easy to find and book in-person or virtual care in all 50 states, across +200 specialties and +12k insurance plans. By giving patients the ability to see and choose, we give them power. In doing so, we can make healthcare work like every other consumer sector, where businesses compete for customers, not the other way around. In time, this will drive quality up and prices down.
We’re 15 years old and the leader in our space, but we are still just getting started. If you like solving important, complex problems alongside deeply thoughtful, driven, and collaborative teammates, read on.
Zocdoc is the tech company at the beginning of a better healthcare experience. Every day, we are driven by our mission to give power to the patient, building products and services that simplify and streamline the overall healthcare journey for patients and providers, delivering the modern healthcare experience they expect and deserve.
Healthcare moves slow. We move fast. Patients deserve speed and convenience.
Your Impact on our Mission
As the Principal Software Engineer for the Insurance and Eligibility team, you’ll work closely with product and engineering teams across the organization to build a next-generation platform that enables patients to more easily find providers in their networks and to better understand their healthcare benefits. You’ll provide technical oversight and influence the design decisions for a product tasked with fixing one of the biggest pain points in healthcare. As a Principal Software Engineer, you’ll also be a mentor to other engineers across the organization, focused on driving engineering best practices.
You’ll enjoy this role if you are…
- Inspired by the opportunity to positively impact the healthcare experience of millions of patients and providers
- Passionate about building highly scalable platforms with the latest technologies
- Product-driven with a relentless focus on user needs
- Autonomous, individually accountable, and comfortable working in a remote/hybrid environment
- A fervent champion of engineering fundamentals and enjoys driving adoption of best practices in code health, testing, and maintainability across organizations and teams
- A leader who mentors and grows teams, cultivates innovation and drives cross-collaboration across multiple teams
- A believer that diverse and inclusive teams and cultures are non-negotiable
- An entrepreneur with strong ownership who can thrive in an ambiguous and fast changing environment
Your day to day is…
- Analyzing and decomposing complex product challenges to drive sound design decisions
- Working hands-on with your team and shipping production code in languages like C#, React or Python to millions of users autonomously, without reliance on other parts of the engineering organization
- Collaborating with our agile team of dedicated and brilliant engineers, product managers, and designers
- Making a meaningful impact as you own and release features that will impact patients, doctors, and Zocdocr’s alike
- Mentoring your peers and colleagues by giving thoughtful feedback, with the notion that helping others means learning and growing yourself
- Continuously improve ability to deliver quality solutions through evolving engineering processes and technical capabilities.
You’ll be successful in this role if you have…
- Successfully shipped code for a consumer-facing product, with experience working across multiple areas of the technology stack
- Demonstrated history of solid and well rounded system design skills
- Improved dev productivity, efficiency and velocity by setting up the best practices for coding, testing, deployment and observability
- Successfully mentored other engineers in the past and have encouraged your peers to use engineering best practices
- Been an effective communicator who is able to dive deep and drive discussions on the technical aspects of the project and also can present technical solutions at the right abstraction level for cross functional stakeholders
- Growth mindset and a strong desire to inspire excellence
- Experience successfully working remotely, or with a distributed workforce preferred
- 9+ years of significant expertise in full-stack development. Strong understanding of OO fundamentals. Experience within AWS environments and a high emphasis on testing is a plus
- Health-Tech experience is a plus.
- An incredible team of smart and supportive people
- A competitive compensation package, including attractive medical insurance
- Amazing perks – think catered lunch every day, Ping Pong, etc.
- Daycare/creche facility for kids
- L&D offerings + a free LinkedIn learning account
- Corporate wellness programs with Headspace.
- Cellphone and wifi reimbursement
- Competitive parental leave
- Sabbatical leave(over 5 years)
- Annual sponsored health check ups
- Zocdoc is certified as great place to work 2022-2023
Zocdoc is the country’s leading digital health marketplace that helps patients easily find and book the care they need. Each month, millions of patients use our free service to find nearby, in-network providers, compare choices based on verified patient reviews, and instantly book in-person or video visits online. Providers participate in Zocdoc’s Marketplace to reach new patients to grow their practice, fill their last-minute openings, and deliver a better healthcare experience. Founded in 2007 with a mission to give power to the patient, our work each day in pursuit of that mission is guided by our six core values. Zocdoc is a private company backed by some of the world’s leading investors, and we believe we’re still only scratching the surface of what we plan to accomplish.
Zocdoc is a mission-driven organization dedicated to building teams as diverse as the patients and providers we aim to serve. In the spirit of one of our core values - Together, Not Alone, we are a company that prides itself on being highly collaborative, and we believe that diverse perspectives, experiences and contributors make our community and our platform better. We’re an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Applicants are considered for employment regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or any other class protected by applicable laws.
Job Applicant Privacy Notice
Something looks off?