Head of Public Relations
Healthcare should work for patients, but it doesn’t. In their time of need, they call down outdated insurance directories. Then wait on hold. Then wait weeks for the privilege of a visit. Then wait in a room solely designed for waiting. Then wait for a surprise bill. In any other consumer industry, the companies delivering such a poor customer experience would not survive. But in healthcare, patients lack market power. Which means they are expected to accept the unacceptable.
Zocdoc’s mission is to give power to the patient. To do that, we’ve built the leading healthcare marketplace that makes it easy to find and book in-person or virtual care in all 50 states, across +200 specialties and +12k insurance plans. By giving patients the ability to see and choose, we give them power. In doing so, we can make healthcare work like every other consumer sector, where businesses compete for customers, not the other way around. In time, this will drive quality up and prices down.
We’re 15 years old and the leader in our space, but we are still just getting started. If you like solving important, complex problems alongside deeply thoughtful, driven, and collaborative teammates, read on.
Your impact on our mission:
People who use Zocdoc love it. You don’t have to take our word for it; you can hear it straight from the source here. But not everyone knows about Zocdoc. Well, not yet — and that’s where you come in. As our Director of Public Relations, you’ll be responsible for raising awareness by driving earned media coverage across all verticals. You’ll devise and lead a cohesive communications strategy — across corporate, consumer, tech, and trade — to ensure Zocdoc becomes a beloved household name and is viewed as an industry leader. You’ll work closely with our founder and CEO, as well as partners from every part of our organization, to find our most differentiated perspectives and compelling stories and tell them to the world.
You’ll enjoy this role if you are…
- Both architect and builder. You see the big picture and devise business-driving strategies. But you also like rolling up your sleeves and doing the work: writing, digging into data, prepping spokespeople, aligning with partners, managing agencies, and more.
- Business-minded, results-driven. You like to get into the nuts and bolts of a business. You know how and why PR drives impact for the company’s top priorities. You are motivated by a responsibility to increase enterprise value and move key metrics like share of voice.
- A dot-connecting pacesetter. Your antenna is always up for a good trend and news hook, and you are fast to go from idea to execution.
- A trusted strategic advisor. You have a global lens on the business and sound judgment. You will have a broad input and influence over many business-critical topics. You know the key to success is building and preserving trust.
- Everyone’s favorite partner. This is a team sport, and you’ll need to work in lock-step with folks of all levels across the org. You know how to build internal networks, align interests, gain buy-in, and bring stakeholders along.
- Adaptable and resilient. You are a consummate steady hand at the wheel and easily navigate an ever-changing environment. You’re battle tested and have seen it all before. You know how to skate to where the puck is headed.
Your day to day is…
- Devising a PR strategy that delivers a steady cadence of high-value news. You’ll not just oversee this but will roll up your sleeves to participate in all execution, too.
- Staying tapped into what is happening all across the business, identifying stories and initiatives that have PR value; working closely with stakeholders to develop coverage-maximizing plans.
- Liaising closely with Brand and Content teams on multi-channel awareness-raising efforts, ensuring we’re leveraging communications as part of the top-of-funnel mix to drive maximum impact.
- Leading our PR agencies, offering support, direction, and guidance while driving partners toward hitting key metrics and driving business results.
- Continually building relationships between Zocdoc and key press targets, and using those relationships and insights to constantly evolve our strategy.
- Rapidly responding to the news of the day, in the form of pitches, op-eds, blog posts, etc.
- Proactively identifying key risks and opportunities; advising the company’s leaders and other key stakeholders on emerging issues.
You’d be successful in this role if you have….
- 10 - 15 years of experience. You’ve worked in-house before, ideally within a technology company that has dramatically scaled. You know how to make the most of finite resources and you’ve seen it all before.
- A deep understanding of the business, and the story’s “why.” You don’t go after press for the sake of getting coverage. You know which stories and outlets to prioritize and why they matter for the business.
- A nose for news and breaking through the noise. You’re a voracious news consumer and have a sixth sense for hooks that will break through the noisy media landscape to drive coverage.
- Strategic hustle. The ability to thrive in fast-paced environments, embrace the unknown, and adapt to a quickly changing environment without losing the thread on what we’re doing or where we’re headed.
- Experience in a complex or regulated industry. Healthcare is mind-bogglingly complicated. You don’t need healthcare experience (it’d be a bonus!), but ideally, you’ve operated in a similarly complex, highly regulated industry.
- Consumer brand-building experience. You know how to make a brand into a household name, leveraging the power of earned media.
- Corp. comms and issues management chops. You’ve counseled senior leaders through inflection points and difficukt decisions where there are no clear or easy answers. And you’ve liaised with the press to make sure those decisions are communicated in a brand-enhancing way.
- Flexible, hybrid work environment
- Unlimited PTO
- 100% paid employee health benefit options
- Employer funded 401(k) match
- L&D offerings + a free LinkedIn learning account
- Corporate wellness programs with Headspace and Peloton
- Sabbatical leave (for employees with 5+ years of service)
- Competitive parental leave
- Cell phone reimbursement
- In office perks including:
- Catered lunch everyday along with snacks
- Commuter Benefits
- Convenient Soho location
Zocdoc is the country’s leading digital health marketplace that helps patients easily find and book the care they need. Each month, millions of patients use our free service to find nearby, in-network providers, compare choices based on verified patient reviews, and instantly book in-person or video visits online. Providers participate in Zocdoc’s Marketplace to reach new patients to grow their practice, fill their last-minute openings, and deliver a better healthcare experience. Founded in 2007 with a mission to give power to the patient, our work each day in pursuit of that mission is guided by our six core values. Zocdoc is a private company backed by some of the world’s leading investors, and we believe we’re still only scratching the surface of what we plan to accomplish.
Zocdoc is a mission-driven organization dedicated to building teams as diverse as the patients and providers we aim to serve. In the spirit of one of our core values - Together, Not Alone, we are a company that prides itself on being highly collaborative, and we believe that diverse perspectives, experiences and contributors make our community and our platform better. We’re an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Applicants are considered for employment regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or any other class protected by applicable laws.
Job Applicant Privacy Notice
Something looks off?