Principal Data Scientist
Healthcare should work for patients, but it doesn’t. In their time of need, they call down outdated insurance directories. Then wait on hold. Then wait weeks for the privilege of a visit. Then wait in a room solely designed for waiting. Then wait for a surprise bill. In any other consumer industry, the companies delivering such a poor customer experience would not survive. But in healthcare, patients lack market power. Which means they are expected to accept the unacceptable.
Zocdoc’s mission is to give power to the patient. To do that, we’ve built the leading healthcare marketplace that makes it easy to find and book in-person or virtual care in all 50 states, across +200 specialties and +12k insurance plans. By giving patients the ability to see and choose, we give them power. In doing so, we can make healthcare work like every other consumer sector, where businesses compete for customers, not the other way around. In time, this will drive quality up and prices down.
We’re 15 years old and the leader in our space, but we are still just getting started. If you like solving important, complex problems alongside deeply thoughtful, driven, and collaborative teammates, read on.
Your Impact on our Mission
We are looking for a Principal Data Scientist to work on our core Search and Sponsored Results offerings. Using a variety of data mining and analysis methods, you will build and implement models to create algorithms, run simulations, and test your results. We are looking for a statistically-minded individual who has the coding skills to independently work with data and interpret research outcomes to determine company strategy. A close collaboration with business partners (including product, engineering, marketing, and sales) will enable you to implement data-driven initiatives.
You’ll enjoy this role if you are…
- Passionate about communicating important data insights to business stakeholders stories that tell cohesive, logical stories about the value and uses of Data Science
- Personally motivated by leading impactful data science initiatives
- The kind of person who enjoys leading and mentoring data scientists
Your day to day is…
- Working closely with our product team to build and iterate on user-facing features using data analytics and machine learning to optimize the results.
- Applying advanced statistical techniques to measure efficacy of various products, suggesting improvements to the products and our processes as you see them
- Leading and mentoring a team of Data Scientists within the Search team, sharing your experience and expertise with others who are eager to learn
- Identifying new opportunities within our company for future large impact data workstreams
You’ll be successful in this role if you have…
- 10+ years of experience performing data analysis and a Master's degree/PhD in statistics, math, physical sciences, or another quantitative discipline, economics, quantitative social sciences, political science
- Proven experience on leading and implementing data science initiatives on a product using strong domain knowledge combined with data intuition to understand the most impactful opportunities
- Ability to mentor other data scientists, increasing both technical data ability and business acumen
- Expertise working with large, complex SQL and NoSQL database infrastructure
- Solid understanding of statistics and common machine learning techniques
- A strong perspective regarding data engineering and the most appropriate infrastructure to use (including trade-offs)
- An understanding of the nuances and tradeoffs of different types of experiment design
Zocdoc is the country’s leading digital health marketplace that helps patients easily find and book the care they need. Each month, millions of patients use our free service to find nearby, in-network providers, compare choices based on verified patient reviews, and instantly book in-person or video visits online. Providers participate in Zocdoc’s Marketplace to reach new patients to grow their practice, fill their last-minute openings, and deliver a better healthcare experience. Founded in 2007 with a mission to give power to the patient, our work each day in pursuit of that mission is guided by our six core values. Zocdoc is a private company backed by some of the world’s leading investors, and we believe we’re still only scratching the surface of what we plan to accomplish.
Zocdoc is a mission-driven organization dedicated to building teams as diverse as the patients and providers we aim to serve. In the spirit of one of our core values - Together, Not Alone, we are a company that prides itself on being highly collaborative, and we believe that diverse perspectives, experiences and contributors make our community and our platform better. We’re an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Applicants are considered for employment regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or any other class protected by applicable laws.
Job Applicant Privacy Notice
Something looks off?