Freelance Content Writer
Healthcare should work for patients, but it doesn’t. In their time of need, they call down outdated insurance directories. Then wait on hold. Then wait weeks for the privilege of a visit. Then wait in a room solely designed for waiting. Then wait for a surprise bill. In any other consumer industry, the companies delivering such a poor customer experience would not survive. But in healthcare, patients lack market power. Which means they are expected to accept the unacceptable.
Zocdoc’s mission is to give power to the patient. To do that, we’ve built the leading healthcare marketplace that makes it easy to find and book in-person or virtual care in all 50 states, across +200 specialties and +12k insurance plans. By giving patients the ability to see and choose, we give them power. In doing so, we can make healthcare work like every other consumer sector, where businesses compete for customers, not the other way around. In time, this will drive quality up and prices down.
We’re 15 years old and the leader in our space, but we are still just getting started. If you like solving important, complex problems alongside deeply thoughtful, driven, and collaborative teammates, read on.
Your Impact on our Mission
Zocdoc is producing an increasing volume and variety of content for providers, from a white paper about how much they should spend to acquire a new patient to a case study about a client who grew bookings 116% on Zocdoc to ongoing editorial about patient preferences, how using advanced practice providers can maximize inventory and much more.
This provider content engine is a strategic lever that helps us grow our provider base, as well as engage existing provider customers. That’s where you come in.
As Zocdoc’s content writer, you are the day-to-day executional arm of our overall provider content strategy. This requires content writing experience for healthcare, or a transferable sector. You’ll work closely with clients, leaders from the provider part of our organization and analyze our extensive data from our marketplace to find and tell compelling stories that move the business forward.
You’ll enjoy this role if you are…
- Both an architect and builder. You understand how content can support defined business needs, and continue to tie deliverables back to outcomes. But you also like rolling up your sleeves and doing the work: writing, editing, digging into data, conducting expert interviews, sourcing and managing freelance writers, and developing distribution plans.
- Performance oriented: We are pursuing thought leadership, but also must follow the data and impact of each piece of content. All fit into our provider journey, so will have metrics attached.
- Feedback hungry: This is a nascent content engine with varied stakeholders, so feedback will be plentiful and should be sought out. This will also lead to an iterative, always-optimizing process.
- Curious and studious. You will be interacting with subject matter experts on a regular basis, so fluency with the healthcare and health tech sector will be very useful. You should have a genuine interest in healthcare and an ability to dig in and learn through internal and external education.
- A subject matter expert. You will be looked to as a content expert internally, commonly tasked with turning concepts into creation. You’ll need to know how to build internal networks, manage feedback loops and bring stakeholders’ visions to life.
Your day to day is…
- Fueling provider content strategy, which includes:
- 1 white paper per quarter, and associated blog cutdowns, landing page copy and ad copy
- 2 CEO op-eds per quarter
- 1 case study per month, and associated ad copy
- 8 editorial blog posts/month
- Curating content & writing copy:
- 2 provider newsletters per month
- 1 Zocdoc company account LinkedIn post/week
- Accounting maintenance
- Onboarding sessions at onset of contract
- Weekly check-in meetings to review calendar and docket, content performance, align on priorities, etc
- NOTE: the above assumes reasonable feedback/edit cycles on content, especially as we get calibrated on messaging, voice, etc. It also assumes Zocdoc will facilitate your access to relevant data and SMEs (either internal, or clients/sources) and that Zocdoc will handle distribution of all final assets
You’ll be successful in this role if you have…
- 5+ years working in healthcare journalism, content marketing or another editorial role: This is primarily a writing and editing position, so demonstrating content skill and experience with this subject matter is necessary.
- Business and metrics acumen: We do not believe in content for content’s sake, and this role supports provider acquisition with clear business outcomes.
- Experience in healthcare operations, B2B writing: Experience with the subject matter will only accelerate fluency and delivering quickly on KPIs.
- Strong reporting instincts, including the ability to conduct interviews: A strong portion of content will involve client interviews and interviews with internal subject matter expertise.
- Comfort with data and scientific research: Data and research are critical parts of nearly every deliverable, where the ability to wade through and translate is paramount.
- Experience with marketing assets, including copy support (ex. headline): Competency with distribution channels and other marketing levers, especially e-mail, is necessary.
- Visual eye: You will be responsible for the visual representation of much of the content you produce, so the ability to work with style guides, designers, et al is critical.
- This is a part-time, freelance position, and is expected to work an average of 20 hours per week.
Zocdoc is the country’s leading digital health marketplace that helps patients easily find and book the care they need. Each month, millions of patients use our free service to find nearby, in-network providers, compare choices based on verified patient reviews, and instantly book in-person or video visits online. Providers participate in Zocdoc’s Marketplace to reach new patients to grow their practice, fill their last-minute openings, and deliver a better healthcare experience. Founded in 2007 with a mission to give power to the patient, our work each day in pursuit of that mission is guided by our six core values. Zocdoc is a private company backed by some of the world’s leading investors, and we believe we’re still only scratching the surface of what we plan to accomplish.
Zocdoc is a mission-driven organization dedicated to building teams as diverse as the patients and providers we aim to serve. In the spirit of one of our core values - Together, Not Alone, we are a company that prides itself on being highly collaborative, and we believe that diverse perspectives, experiences and contributors make our community and our platform better. We’re an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Applicants are considered for employment regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or any other class protected by applicable laws.
Job Applicant Privacy Notice