Staff Engineer (Cedar Pay)
U.S. healthcare is frustrating and deeply flawed. Cedar’s mission is to drive better outcomes for everyone involved. At a time when consumer-friendly healthcare experiences are more critical than ever, our platform is uniquely equipped to solve problems that lead to billing issues and administrative waste.
At Cedar, know that your work will have a meaningful impact on people’s lives. Cedarians work collectively to improve the healthcare experience across the ecosystem–from providers and payers to the people they serve. Join our mission as we build something transformational.
Cedar is making major improvements to the patient financial experience. On the Cedar Pay Engineering Pillar, we hope to eliminate the burden of billing for patients and providers delivering a comprehensive, personalized, and connected financial experience.
As part of our vision to fulfill the diverse needs of the majority of the US patient population, we are in need of a Staff Engineer to embed on one of our Cedar Pay squads and lead technical strategy across the pillar.
- We're looking for someone who very much enjoys being a part of the product development process as much as they enjoy coding and being hands on.
- To be successful, our Staff Engineers bring a "do what it takes" ownership mindset to this innovative and impactful work for patients.
- Lead the development of high-impact client projects in the Cedar Pay product.
- Mentor engineers at a variety of levels (Junior through Staff as well as Technical Leads). Be a role model and trusted advisor for passionate and driven team members.
- Own key services that are relied upon by multiple engineering teams
- Support your counterparts on the product, design and commercial teams on understanding patient problems and then formulate technical strategy to solve for them.
- Work autonomously and creatively in navigating and overcoming obstacles that you encounter.
- Drive org-level changes to improve existing processes, infrastructure, architecture, business problems, developer happiness, etc. Think broadly about opportunities to level-up the engineering org.
- Cedar is committed to a flexible work environment, so this as well as many of our roles are remote friendly.
Required Skills & Experience:
- 8+ years of professional software development experience.
- Strong computer science fundamentals - a degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field, or similar experience.
- Experience leading large technical projects that span multiple engineering teams and require multi-functional teamwork.
- Experience mentoring engineers across all levels
- Experience owning a business-critical application, standing up complex new systems, and building for supportability and long-term maintenance.
- Ability to debug complex issues involving subtle interactions between multiple systems and libraries.
- Experience working directly with product and design, including the ability to explain sophisticated technical concepts simply.
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment, comfort with ambiguity
- Passionate about Cedar’s mission of improving the healthcare financial experience
Compensation Range and Benefits:
- Salary/Hourly Rate Range*: $216,750 - $255,000
- This role is equity eligible
- This role offers a competitive benefits and wellness package
*Subject to location, experience, and education
What do we offer to the ideal candidate?
- A chance to improve the U.S. healthcare system at a high-growth company! Our leading healthcare financial platform is scaling rapidly, helping millions of patients per year
- Unless stated otherwise, most roles have flexibility to work from home or in the office, depending on what works best for you
- Unlimited PTO for vacation, sick and mental health days–we encourage everyone to take at least 20 days of PTO per year to ensure dedicated time to spend with loved ones, explore, rest and recharge
- 16 weeks paid parental leave with health benefits for all parents, plus flexible re-entry schedules for returning to work
- Diversity initiatives that encourage Cedarians to bring their whole selves to work, including three employee resource groups: be@cedar (for BIPOC-identifying Cedarians and their allies), Pridecones (for LGBTQIA+ Cedarians and their allies) and Cedar Women+ (for female-identifying Cedarians)
- Competitive pay, equity (for qualifying roles) and health benefits that start on the first of the month following your start date (or on your start date if your start date coincides with the first of the month)
- Cedar matches 100% of your 401(k) contributions, up to 3% of your annual compensation
- Access to hands-on mentorship, employee and management coaching, and a team discretionary budget for learning and development resources to help you grow both professionally and personally
Cedar was co-founded by Florian Otto and Arel Lidow in 2016 after a negative medical billing experience inspired them to help improve our healthcare system. With a commitment to solving billing and patient experience issues, Cedar has become a leading healthcare technology company fueled by remarkable growth. Over the past several years, we’ve raised more than $350 million in funding from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Tiger Global, bringing Cedar’s valuation to $3.2 billion.
As of December 2022, Cedar is engaging with 20 million patients on an annualized basis, and is on target to process $2.7 billion in patient payments annually. Cedar’s ambition is to serve 50-60 million Americans by 2025, about half of the U.S. population that makes medical payments annually. Cedar partners with more than 55 leading healthcare providers and payers including Highmark Inc., Allegheny Health Network, Summit Health, Novant Health, Allina Health and Providence.