Sr. Software Engineer (Client Integrations)
Our healthcare system is the leading cause of personal bankruptcy in the U.S. Every year, over 50 million Americans suffer adverse financial consequences as a result of seeking care, from lower credit scores to garnished wages. The challenge is only getting worse, as high deductible health plans are the fastest growing plan design in the U.S.
Cedar’s mission is to leverage data science, smart product design and personalization to make healthcare more affordable and accessible. Today, healthcare providers still engage with its consumers in a “one-size-fits-all” approach; and Cedar is excited to leverage consumer best practices to deliver a superior experience.
Cedar is making major improvements to the patient's financial experience. Our technology platform leverages data science to engage patients and help them understand the cost of their care. The Client integrations team at Cedar builds data pipelines exchanging data that power all of the Cedar products. The team comprises backend engineers and engineering managers that build ETL pipelines to normalize disparate and sometimes fragmented data stores to pull data into Cedar.
As we continue to rapidly grow our client base, we are in need of a Sr. Software Engineer to help build Cedar Integrations.
- We're seeking a Sr. Backend Engineer to build data integrations with healthcare provider clients. Data integrations in healthcare are remarkably challenging to get right, and represent one of the highest barriers to innovation in US healthcare.
- Cedar Backend Engineers work cross-functionally across Cedar to make a client successful. They gather and understand requirements, architect the solution, build, test, and deploy their code.
- To be successful, Backend Engineers building implementations need a solid understanding of both client needs and Cedar's products. They have a "do what it takes" entrepreneurial demeanor to get our clients live on time and with high quality. Their strong skills of abstraction, inheritance, and other design patterns enable them to capitalize on opportunities for scaling these complex data integrations across many healthcare providers.
- Develop efficient, reliable, and maintainable code to integrate with client's electronic health record (EHR) data
- Architect and build tools and frameworks that enable faster, sustainable, and scalable Cedar integrations
- Review and debug code
- Mentor other engineers
- Work autonomously and creatively in navigating and overcoming obstacles that you encounter
- You’ll support your counterparts on the product and commercial teams on understanding and solving client problems, formulating technical strategy, and enhancing the cedar integrations framework.
- Cedar is committed to a flexible work environment, so this as well as many of our roles are remote friendly.
What we look for in a candidate:
- 7+ years of professional software development experience.
- Backend focused with data integrations expertise.
- Strong computer science fundamentals - a degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field, or similar experience.
- Expertise in at least one major coding language.
- Ability to debug complex issues involving subtle interactions between multiple systems and libraries.
- Ability to explain sophisticated technical concepts simply.
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment, comfort with ambiguity
- Passionate about Cedar’s mission of improving the healthcare financial experience
- Healthcare data integrations experience.
- Strong client facing interpersonal skills.
- Strong knowledge of SQL and prior experience using BI tools such as Snowflake and Looker to build a deeper understanding of data syncs.
- Deep knowledge of Python and Django internals.
Compensation Range and Benefits:
- Salary/Hourly Rate Range*: $165,750 - $195,000
- This role is equity eligible
- This role offers a competitive benefits and wellness package
*Subject to location, experience, and education*
What do we offer to the ideal candidate?
- A chance to improve the U.S. healthcare system at a high-growth company! Our leading healthcare financial platform is scaling rapidly, helping millions of patients per year
- Unless stated otherwise, most roles have flexibility to work from home or in the office, depending on what works best for you
- For exempt employees: Unlimited PTO for vacation, sick and mental health days–we encourage everyone to take at least 20 days of PTO per year to ensure dedicated time to spend with loved ones, explore, rest and recharge
- 16 weeks paid parental leave with health benefits for all parents, plus flexible re-entry schedules for returning to work
- Diversity initiatives that encourage Cedarians to bring their whole selves to work, including the Cedarian Advisory Group (a cross-functional cohort focused on increasing internal inclusiveness at Cedar) and three employee resource groups: be@cedar (for BIPOC-identifying Cedarians and their allies), Pridecones (for LGBTQIA+ Cedarians and their allies) and Cedar Women+ (for female-identifying Cedarians)
- Competitive pay, equity (for qualifying roles) and health benefits that start on the first of the month following your start date (or on your start date if your start date coincides with the first of the month)
- Cedar matches 100% of your 401(k) contributions, up to 3% of your annual compensation
- Access to hands-on mentorship, employee and management coaching, and a team discretionary budget for learning and development resources to help you grow both professionally and personally
Cedar was co-founded by Florian Otto and Arel Lidow in 2016 after a negative medical billing experience inspired them to help improve our healthcare system. With a commitment to solving billing and patient experience issues, Cedar has become a leading healthcare technology company fueled by remarkable growth. Over the past several years, we’ve raised more than $350 million in funding from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Tiger Global, bringing Cedar’s valuation to $3.2 billion.
As of December 2022, Cedar is engaging with 20 million patients on an annualized basis, and is on target to process $2.7 billion in patient payments annually. Cedar’s ambition is to serve 50-60 million Americans by 2025, about half of the U.S. population that makes medical payments annually. Cedar partners with more than 55 leading healthcare providers and payers including Highmark Inc., Allegheny Health Network, Summit Health, Novant Health, Allina Health and Providence.