Data Scientist II (Product Analyst)
Our healthcare system is the leading cause of personal bankruptcy in the U.S. Every year, over 50 million Americans suffer adverse financial consequences as a result of seeking care, from lower credit scores to garnished wages. The challenge is only getting worse, as high deductible health plans are the fastest growing plan design in the U.S.
Cedar’s mission is to leverage data science, smart product design and personalization to make healthcare more affordable and accessible. Today, healthcare providers still engage with its consumers in a “one-size-fits-all” approach; and Cedar is excited to leverage consumer best practices to deliver a superior experience.
Cedar is a patient payment and engagement platform that leverages data science, consumer-centric design and technology to improve the healthcare experience for patients.
The Data Science team plays a critical role in achieving Cedar’s vision. We ensure data and insights are accessible and trusted by all internal and external stakeholders to enable data-driven decision-making. Through analytics, descriptive analyses, and statistical models, we consistently aim to better understand the needs of patients, find improvement opportunities, and impact the product development process. We run experiments to test our various hypotheses and measure our progress. We build ML models and embed them into our web app to deliver a personalized experience to patients. We help differentiate Cedar's product offerings with hard-to-copy competitive advantages.
To do this, we have built an open, supportive, and collaborative team culture. “Love thy teammate” is one of our Data Science values, and we live into this value by operating from a mindset of curiosity, possibility, and the best intentions of each of our team members. As a team, we are dedicated to continually growing our technical excellence and collaborative excellence, equally.
We are also not doing this alone; we partner with the other Makers teams (Product, Engineering, Design, and User Research) to grow our impact. We also work with Commercial teams to evangelize our vision to clients and get market feedback on which pain points are the most urgent to solve.
You can read about some of our work on the Patient Experience Studio, a blog we share with the Design team.
Cedar is growing rapidly and the demand for data expertise is increasing exponentially along with our growth. We’re seeking a Data Scientist - Product Analyst II on our Data Science team to partner with our product development teams to enable robust data-driven decisions and understand user behavior.
As a Data Scientist - Product Analyst II, you will be responsible for ensuring that we are building world-class products that truly address the needs of our users and customers through data insights. You will identify clear and strategic product opportunities, measure the success of our products, understand product strengths and areas for improvement - by being an expert in Cedar data and the stories that it tells. You will continuously apply a growth mindset in your approach to problems.
The Data Science team follows a hybrid work structure where team members are in our NYC office 3 days per week.
- Partner with the Product, Design, and Engineering teams to develop an understanding of user behavior and opportunities for product improvement using data
- Drive and influence data focused decision making on product teams to move metrics and improve the patient experience
- Perform exploratory research to provide product teams with new strategic ideas and levers to improve impactful metrics
- Analyze, measure, and track the performance and success of product features
- Identify data insights and recommendations for product teams to act and iterate on
- Ideate, design, and evaluate product experiments
- Build dashboards and visualizations to democratize data insights
- Present and clearly communicate data findings and underlying methodology to partners across all levels of the organization
- Think from the perspective of a user and develop expert intuition of Cedar’s data models and product
Skills and Experience:
- 3+ years of experience in an analytical role
- A go-getter attitude, passion for delivering a world-class product experience, and a mindset focused on growth and learning
- An analytical attitude and passion for finding opportunities and insights within data
- Understanding of statistical methods for research and experimentation purposes
- Strong presentation and project management skills
- Experience collaborating with product, design, and engineering teams
- SQL and Python expertise is a must-have
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
Compensation Range and Benefits
- Salary/Hourly Rate Range*: $127,500 - $150,000
- This role is equity eligible
- This role offers a competitive benefits and wellness package
*Subject to location, experience, and education
What do we offer to the ideal candidate?
- A chance to improve the U.S. healthcare system at a high-growth company! Our leading healthcare financial platform is scaling rapidly, helping millions of patients per year
- Unless stated otherwise, most roles have flexibility to work from home or in the office, depending on what works best for you
- For exempt employees: Unlimited PTO for vacation, sick and mental health days–we encourage everyone to take at least 20 days of PTO per year to ensure dedicated time to spend with loved ones, explore, rest and recharge
- 16 weeks paid parental leave with health benefits for all parents, plus flexible re-entry schedules for returning to work
- Diversity initiatives that encourage Cedarians to bring their whole selves to work, including the Cedarian Advisory Group (a cross-functional cohort focused on increasing internal inclusiveness at Cedar) and three employee resource groups: be@cedar (for BIPOC-identifying Cedarians and their allies), Pridecones (for LGBTQIA+ Cedarians and their allies) and Cedar Women+ (for female-identifying Cedarians)
- Competitive pay, equity (for qualifying roles) and health benefits that start on the first of the month following your start date (or on your start date if your start date coincides with the first of the month)
- Cedar matches 100% of your 401(k) contributions, up to 3% of your annual compensation
- Access to hands-on mentorship, employee and management coaching, and a team discretionary budget for learning and development resources to help you grow both professionally and personally
Cedar was co-founded by Florian Otto and Arel Lidow in 2016 after a negative medical billing experience inspired them to help improve our healthcare system. With a commitment to solving billing and patient experience issues, Cedar has become a leading healthcare technology company fueled by remarkable growth. Over the past several years, we’ve raised more than $350 million in funding from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Tiger Global, bringing Cedar’s valuation to $3.2 billion.
As of December 2022, Cedar is engaging with 20 million patients on an annualized basis, and is on target to process $2.7 billion in patient payments annually. Cedar’s ambition is to serve 50-60 million Americans by 2025, about half of the U.S. population that makes medical payments annually. Cedar partners with more than 55 leading healthcare providers and payers including Highmark Inc., Allegheny Health Network, Summit Health, Novant Health, Allina Health and Providence.